1. JaceSakuraSakura

JaceSakuraSakura New Member

{Help} Naming places set in royal fantasy

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by JaceSakuraSakura, Feb 9, 2020.

Hello, as a note: I know these many threads are similar to mine.

I just come here for anyone can give me a name for a place from my book, I've been working on.

Here are lists of describing the places/locations.

- Swamp: where is the main protagonist current lives, it very beautiful and full of deep mud.

- Kingdom: It has a royal and wired movement of liquid metal, that were the races (unnamed: metal liquid people) lived.
    {Note: don't give the name loosely based on metal elements like Mercury or Gallium}

- Forest: The woodlands are full of light blue leaves, flowers and mysterious purple mud pits.

- Kingdom #2: A beautiful kingdom, it known for royal aesthetic, servants, advanced science and even got springs.

- Kingdom #3: Chocolate Aesthetic (like liquid metal)

- Canyons: A dry canyon with full of tar and plateau have been experiencing by two kingdoms.

=====================

As last note: I love some ideas or suggestions but not too big as I don't like telling the full story. (Not just yeh)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  2. Bowie_the_Birb

Bowie_the_Birb Member

I don't know if you employ any mystical creatures, but in my fantasy realms, lands are often named after creatures. The kingdom of Kina is known for the Kignak, and the city of Terrilian is named after the species name of Dunkleosteus Terrelli. There is also a kingdom of Capella, named after the star. You mention "liquid metal people," and how you don't want named "loosely based on metal elements like Mercury or Gallium." Mercury and gallium are metals, so I think that would be completely naming the place after the element. I have a city called Iridi, after Iridium. That would be a named derived from an element, not just using the element name for the place's name.
    It's not a lot but I hope this helps. :)

JaceSakuraSakura likes this.
  3. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

Lots of ways to go about doing this:

When I name things in fantasy world, I try a few different themes:

1. Descriptors translated into foreign languages:
    For example, the main empire is ruled by the White Queen, an immortal Sorceress. The name of her Empire is Zuria, which means 'White' in Basque. One of her vassal states, which is rocky and desolate with the main industry being mining and blacksmiths is called Jalowe, which means 'Barren' in Polish, the capital city is Krushzec, which means 'ore'. For each of the separate states use a different language as the basis. This also allows you to give each a slightly different feel.

So for your list, for Kingdom #1:
    Kapryśny- is polish for Capricious, which is another word for Mercurial aka changeable, like liquid metal. So this gives you a name that is relevant, without being stupidly blatant.

2. Mythological: Is a certain area based off of a certain region on earth? Like the Desert area having a middle eastern feel to the culture? I will look into the ancient cultures/mythology from those areas and use names/themes.
    EX: A Militaristic Empire covering Eastern Europe and Asia, Moscow is the capital, so called the Bogatyri Empire after warriors from Slavic folklore.

3. List of words combinations: List out names and descriptors: Hill, Field, Valley, Vale, Forest, Swamp, Eagle, Rock, Cliff, Nettle, Plains, Mountain, Butte, Gold, High, light, dark, sun, moon, Dove, Crow, Dog, Wolf, Rain, Cloud, Storm, Wind ect and then combine them: EX: The Gold Swamp, Eagle Vale, Nettle Plains, Highrock, Wolf Mountain ect.

Naming people and places has always been one of the things I struggled with, they just always felt 'fake' to me, but by doing one or all of the three above, it takes some of that fear away. Try a few methods and see what works best for you.

4. Nellie Mea Dixon

Nellie Mea Dixon New Member

It would all depend on your chosen naming convention. I LOVE naming people, places and things. What is your setting like? What do the people and animals look like? What kind of geography does your world have?

I personally favor words and names that have a Indian, African or middle eastern lilt.

5. JaceSakuraSakura

JaceSakuraSakura New Member

Sure

Three Kingdom is loosely based on France / German; Swamp is Luxembourg; Blue Forest is Sweden, and Canyon is middle eastern, but words or name from another language by yourself is as an option as well.

6. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Use a French or German name for Three Kingdoms or a swedish word for Blue Forest. Perhaps Arabic for the Canyon? I think you got it.

7. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Blåa Skogen does not have a good ring to it.

8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
  9. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

There are several ways to go about this.
    You could name a Kingdom after the first person known to rule it. China had something to do with the "Chin" dynasty - I think.
    "England" is derived from the old name that means "land of Angles" but it was called something else before that. My point is, look at how real places are named.

10. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

A lot of things are named with foreign words. All those cities in California are named with Spanish words meaning something, a lot of states too (Florida, California, Arizona). They name things after Native American things (Ohio, the Dakotas) or Latin (Carolina). Even think about everything with "new" before it (New York, New Mexico, New England). Anyway, most everything is named after something or for something that came before it. So figure out your history and then you could get a name for them.

11. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

In my opinion overtly "fantasy" names don't add much and I suppose that you're not really interested in having some hidden or deep meaning behind the names but just want to be able to call these places something.

And from that point I'll go on.

Swamp: The Mushland

Kingdom: Rowirium

Forest: The Blue Forest

Kingdom 2: Sassinga

Kingdom 3: Aesthalon

Canyons: The Black Canyon