1. Imprive

Imprive New Member

Help naming sci-fi weapons platform

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Imprive, Mar 1, 2012.

So, I'm writing and I thought up a story based on a defensive formation stationed at a star. The formation consists of two fleets, and five... stations I guess, stationed around a star to protect the various jumpoints. I need to think up a name for these stations. They are semi-mobile, which means they can adjust their orbits, but nothing fancy because they are after all quite large. Originally I called them defensive stations, or defensive platforms but then I got the idea that they could be outfited for different missions. Currently four are heavily armed to protect the jump points from enemy fleets while the fifth one is fitted as a manufacturing station, to provide items and foodstuffs as they become depleted for the rest of the formation. These are supposed to be (relativly) quick deployed platforms that can help reinforce positions or defend positions long term, longer than a fleet could.

Now you have the backstory, could someone help me think up good general names for these?
    I was going to go with Defensive station, or defensive platform or something but then you couldn't exactly call the manufacturing station a defensive station, and station makes it sound way too... stationary. I could call it a weapons platform, or simply a platform, but that seems bland. If you are trying to picture what I am talking about, think of the starbases from Sins Of A Solar Empire, or the Death star, or a Cylon Basestar. Those are the closest things I can think of to them.
    Any help would be appricated, thanks.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Armory, weapons depot, arsenal, munitions dump...

These are generic synonyms for a weapons cache.

You could also give it an ironic euphemism, like a "peace repository."

3. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Maybe name them after gods?
    The Gate keepers?
    The Five Brothers?

Junction denial Mobil weapons platform JDMWP
    Solar System tracking and denial SSTD

4. Imprive

Imprive New Member

Hmm interesting thanks. Ill consider that, its a good idea for this particular formation. Perhaps I could give them that as a nickname. however, I was wondering about a general name for the type of base/station. Acroynms can work too.

5. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

I was looking at names of ancient torture devices but the only thing that sounded alright and fit the was Iron maiden as the formation and maybe the individual platforms as spikes or blades.

6. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Iron maiden made me think of another that seems appropriate: Iron Curtain. Granted, it does refer to a real thing from history, but it wouldn't be the first time a term has been recycled. It could even be symbolic. Though it also sounds like something that should be used to refer to the entire defensive array, rather than any specific station... Come to think of it, "array" is another possibility.

7. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

Rapid-Deployment Multi-Use Space Station (RaDMUSS)
    Mobile Array General Use Station (MAGUS)
    General Use Mobile Marine Orbiter (GUMMO)
    General Use Platform (Guppy)

8. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

You can try doing one of those long names that kinda gets twisted around a bit to become an acronym that looks like an actual word. You know, something like,
    Nuclear-Equipped Base Under Lots of Apples = NEBULA
    or
    Ectometric Locator and Interceptor Platform Second Edition= ECLIPSE

9. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Iron Curtain is good too for the platform as a group. The Thing I liked about Iron Maiden was it lent itself to naming the individual units. In the device there are blades and spikes that close and penetrate. Blade stations might be laser based, spike missile based or something like that.

10. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Versitile Oribiting Station V.O.S.

Orbiting Base of Operations O.B.O.

Inter-Planetary Orbiting Dock I.P.O.D. (haha)

Just some ideas

11. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Since they are more or less stationary defensive structures, surely they'd be designated as some sort of fortress, a star fortress perhaps though I think they were in MOO2. Alternatively you couldthink of other defensive structures, castles, forts, standings or strongholds. If they also have large permanent civilian populations they could also be termed citadels or similar.

Cheers, Greg.

12. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Since they are more or less stationary defensive structures, surely they'd be designated as some sort of fortress, a star fortress perhaps though I think they were in MOO2. Alternatively you couldthink of other defensive structures, castles, forts, standings or strongholds. If they also have large permanent civilian populations they could also be termed citadels or similar.

Cheers, Greg.