1. phenestria

phenestria New Member

HELP! need to find a town fiting for book...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by phenestria, Dec 5, 2011.

Hello,
    ive just started to write a book (to be honest my first...) and need a little, not too big, town that is actually most of the time dark and stormy. I would really appreciate it if you could help me because i am clueless... i really beg you on my knees to help me... thanks already though :)

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

You will need to give people more information in order to get the most useful feedback.

Stormy weather isn't consistent and you haven't said what type of storm you're looking for either. What sort of weather would work in your novel when there isn't a storm present? Dry but grey? Rain? Snow?

There are many different types of storm and different regions experience different types. Also, where do you want to set your novel? Not the town but the country, continent, etc. From what you have said I imagine you will want to pick somewhere in the northern hemisphere. Also consider where in a country would you want it to be set: near the mountains, in the city, on the shore? You'll get a slightly different atmosphere for each place. Eg: if it's a snowstorm in a small town a little ways up a mountain then there is going to be fear of avalanche, power outage and a lack of supplies; a thunderstorm near a town on the edge of a large forest could lead to fires and trees collapsing on people, animals, houses and vehicles; a rainstorm on the coast leads to much stronger and hazardous winds, fears of flooding and a risk of people getting swept away by the water, etc.

Of course, there is always the option of creating a fictional town.

3. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Check out some towns in Washington. Or Missouri. Or England.

Wikipedia is my friend when I'm looking for quick town info (like population)

4. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

A town behind a mountain or/and in a valley with lots trees (there should be some towns out there located in a place like that), so the sun is most of the time blocked, and in an area where storms are more frequent, which also means it is usually cloudy. You know, it sounds a lot like the small-town from Twilight... sun is rarely shining.

5. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You could place it in the northern parts of Norway. This time of the year, the sun comes up around 8:00 am or so, then goes down around 3:00 pm or so. As I live near the ocean (even have an ocean view), it gets really windy here at times. (then again we have sun almost 24/7 all summer, so it's not dark and stormy most of the time, if "most of the time" is all year.)

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Make up a town, it's easier then trying to research one you don't know. But add a few rules to help you. Make it way north or way south to get the long winter months of darkness and hopefully keep it quite cold. Big mountain ranges nearby seas act as rain magnets, the high peaks tend to force winds up into the colder stratas of the atmosphere which are colder, and so if those air currents are humid you get rain or snow etc.

Cheers, Greg.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

or sweden, or like writer dude said: norway.
    Why not create a fictional town wherever you want it located?

8. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

There's a miserable mining town here called Secunda (literally meaning the 'second town'). Locals say it's like a baby- if it's not wet, it's windy. I agree though, research some towns to get some rules and then make up your own.

9. picklzzz

picklzzz New Member

Why not just make up a town? That's what I always do. I may put some real elements into it, but I like to make up towns to suit my story.