1. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

Help, please! Vampire Research

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stephie Kaye, Jun 7, 2010.

So, I am doing some research because I am thinking about writing a vampire novel. I've been trying to google/bing vampire folklore in the united states preferably in Illinois to see if there are any legends or myths but I haven't come across anything yet. If any of you know any legends/myths or know where to look please let me know!

Also, I'd like your input on what would be the best to read:
    --woman vampire pov
    --man vampire pov
    --other, then what?

I also realize that there are a lot of vampire series out in the YA section and obviously twilight is good if you're 13 but there are so many better ones. I want to stay creative. But somewhat original to vampires... Any idea on how I can do that? What are your guys' opinions?

Thanks!!
    Kaye

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Maybe it would be helpful for you to see the ton of new YA stuff that's out right now that has a vampire or werewolf in it. Frankly, I think that it's getting a bit over done at this point. The stories all pretty much read the same: dark, handsome loner with mysterious background; girl with difficulties at home; yada yada yada. See The Dark Devine; Fallen; Need; Hush, Hush.

My own story is totally realistic fiction--no supernatural nothing; just a good story (hopefully) involving relationships and a coming-of-age theme.

3. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

I've heard coming-of-age themes before. what exactly is that? what are some examples?
    Thanks for your input.

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Oh, I'm sure you've read books with these themes. They're ones like Catcher in the Rye,The Outsiders, Little Women. Sarah Dessen's Just Listen and The Truth About Forever are a couple of my favorite ones.

Here's a definition from about.com:

5. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

Oh, okay. Coming-of-age sounds like what a lot of ideas I have running through my mind. And I love Sarah Dessen.

I mean writing is my passion and I want to have a series and a few novels and possibly a memoir (because my life has been a difficult one and i'm only 20).

I'm still trying to find Chicago myths but I can't seem to find any because I would like some history/truth (not necessarily "truth" but you know like a well known story/legend/myth) rather than making up a myth; however I guess that won't happen.

Oh and Marina I love the quote you have by Jane Austen. She is one of my favorite authors. =]

6. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico New Member

If you write a vampire novel, you'll of course get lumped in with the current Twilight craze, but it's not just about the concept, it's also about how you write it. Twilight is written in a mediocre way, as are a lot of vampire/fantasy books that are just trying to cash in on the vampire thing. If you want any original ideas, try to think of things you know. Use the vampire idea as a metaphor for some conflict you've been in or watched other people go through.

As for what I'd like to read, I guess female vampire protagonists in books are more rare than male vampires (Interview with the Vampire and Twilight as some examples) so that might be one way to spin the concept. Maybe if she falls in love with a guy, he can be more comedic than Bella is in Twilight.

7. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

There are three kinds of stories about folklore magical beings:

- Those who look for one of the common conception and mostly stick to it: Norferatu, Interview with the vampire
    - Those who change the traditional concept: the world of darkness RPG, blade, twilight (I suppose, I've not read it nor seen the movie).
    - Those who use an already done change. Something like the evolution of the fanfiction. For example, books, movies or series about a vampires like the ones described in WoD, or Underworld.

For the first kind, you can either use as investigation Dracula, interview with the vampire, etc. Or you can go directly to the source and read about the old vampire folklore (but you'll fall quite close to Dracula).

For the second kind, it's already clear that you can pull just about anything out of your behind, even that they shine in sunlight. You can say they're alien beings, or even the spores of a galactic vampire fungus.

For the third kind, you should read the source material, probably a couple times at least, and then you should try to find a community that has discussed about that precise world or interpretation of the legend.

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I'd be careful about the vampire thing. It's so prevalent now you can't walk into a bookstore without seeing shelves of vampire novels. Yes some of them are very good. The problem is I think there are a lot of people who are so put off by twilight they are off the idea of vampires for now. Probably more because there is such a saturation of vampire fiction.

If you have your heart set on it go for it. Do something that makes it stand out from the crowd. I think writing it from the viewpoint of a woman would definitely make it more interesting. I very rarely see vampire novels where the vampire is female. It's always dark mysterious man lures innocent girl into the world of vampires. It's overdone. You said you really like coming of age things. Maybe this could be a coming of age about a female vampire. Possibly about her coming to grips with what she is and what that means for her life. It really depends on the situation.

9. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

Thanks everyone! You all have been such great help!

10. Sulac Sol

Sulac Sol New Member

I'm toying with the idea of a vampire novel as well... A vampire hunter novel. I want to herald a return to the dark, monstrous vamps, ala Salem's Lot y Dracula. However, I agree with the earlier statements that a female vampire lead would be vastly more interesting, but you also have to ensure your writing is unique and deft enough to stand out from the hordes of vamp-writers nowadays.

11. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

You may all shoot me here, but I'm going to use Stephanie Meyer as an example.

She uses the Quiluet legends in the Twilight Saga, but adapts them to fit vampires, by adding in 'the cold ones'.

She also uses I think, the American Civil War, for when Jasper gets turned into a Vampire.

Maybe instead of using Vampire myths and legends, you could use the history of the setting, and incorporate Vampires in there.

Just a few ideas.

FG xx

12. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

Sulac Sol- Thanks for the input. I as well want to incorporate the bad vamps. I like them. Haha. I am currently reading The Vampire Academy series and I LOVE the way Mead writes and her idea of good vamps and bad vamps and guardians protecting the good vamps. It's unique and trumps the Twilight Saga by far. (But then again so do a lot of the vampire novels.)

Fantasy Girl- I understand what you mean and that's a very good idea. There are so many ghost stories about Chicago and you are brilliant I now have an idea in my head, thank you!

13. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Any time. If you ever need a crit or just a brain storming session (I find that sometimes they help) just PM me.

FG xx

14. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

FG- I will definitely do that! Thanks!

15. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

No problem. :)

16. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Have you ever read Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist? It's wonderful vampire story. You may get the idea of how to write wonderful vampire story.

17. tweakyren

tweakyren New Member

What about the Count Dracula of the Historian? That's a quality Vampire character.

18. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Yes! That's how to make Dracula really spine-chilling. I don't recommend the letter/reminiscence format, though. Very difficult to pull off successfully, and even in The Historian it got a mite wordy in places IMO