Help with Texan character, and an Irish one

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by He Who Has Too Many Dogs, Feb 6, 2020.

1. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

In this case, he would probably put on quite a bit of embellishment to the way he talks, sort of characterizing himself. You're looking for someone who takes inspiration from Sam Elliot:

2. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

Texas born and bred here, fourth generation even. The frequency of the word "howdy" varies from region to region. Remember, it's a big state. Here in West Texas, you hear it all the time. Hell, I use it frequently myself, but I'm being at least a little ironic or whimsical when I do it. You'll hear it used that way a lot, but if you aren't wearing the hat and boots (or cowboy cut jeans and a tucked in plaid straight from the farm,) and use it seriously, it seems completely out of place. A thicker accent goes a long way in legitimizing it's use.

I especially use it when I travel. By most accounts, my accent only shows through on a few words, but if I'm in Illinois, it thickens in this almost involuntary, territorial way. Suddenly, "Hi. I'm Todd" becomes "Howdy. I'm Todd. I'm from Texas," in an accent approaching that of my cousin who wasn't allowed to answer the phone at the Chinese restaurant where she worked, because people were sure they had the wrong number and hung up.

Last thing, if he says howdy, and he has the accent, and he isn't being ironic, then he won't pronounce the "W". There's no diphthong. It's more like: "Haddy, ma'am." You shouldn't spell it that way, of course. I only mention it in case you want to explain what's being heard by other characters, much as Stephen King does every time he has an old New Englander speak: He said "over yonder," but it came out "ovah yandah."

Seven Crowns likes this.
  3. Rzero

Well, the rest of y'all forgot to designate a second person plural pronoun, so we conjured up a contraction to fill that particular void. It's perfectly grammatically correct, in my opinion. Slightly more questionable is the possessive form: "y'all's." I'm sure some people think I'm joking, but it's a staple in the lexicon: "Is everyone headed to the club, or are we all going back to y'all's house?"

Seven Crowns likes this.
  4. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

1. Y'All : Singular
    2. All Y'All : Plural
    3. Y'All's : Possessive
    4. All Y'All's : Plural Possessive
    It's not questionable. It's just the way it is. :D

Steve Rivers and Rzero like this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Just be careful not to turn your character into a caricature.

6. He Who Has Too Many Dogs

He Who Has Too Many Dogs Member

Not much of a worry, he's got like three sentences lol
    The Irish character plays a major role in the book, but I'm beginning to think Ireland is a myth, and that Irish people don't really exist xD

7. He Who Has Too Many Dogs

The character is a bar/restaurant owner in a foreign Asian country so theatrics is a part of it, and yes, he's wearing a Stetson lol.
    How do you think a forty something year old man, such as himself, will refer to a stunning, twenty something woman? Ma'am doesn't seem right at all lol

8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Miss/Missy.

9. Rzero

You have to go with your gut on that, but I could see any number of Texan semi-stereotypes saying ma'am, not just cowboys. That's hardly universal though. I never say "sir" or "ma'am" unless I'm standing before a judge, so...

It would all depend on character and context. If you can't hear him saying "ma'am," trust that instinct. Drop a line or two. Give me some context. "Refers to as" can mean so many things. What's the line you have in mind with "lovely ladies" in it?

10. He Who Has Too Many Dogs

May I please PM you?

11. Rzero

Of course.

12. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

There’s more than just 3 Texans here. ;)

I can quite easily see a Texan in a foreign land exaggerating his “Texan-ness”, if that’s a word. Like Rzero, I do that myself and I never lose the “y’all”.

Up here in the Panhandle, people under 40 are more apt to sound like young people on tv, the more rural folks less so but still more than those over 40.

You might watch Man of the House - the one with Tommy Lee Jones. It’s a bit exaggerated in its portrayal, but really not that far off. Tommy Lee is from south Texas.

J.D. Ray and Rzero like this.
  13. Rzero

Cool! I thought I was the only person on WF in West Texas.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020