1. MackenzieGirl

MackenzieGirl Banned

Help Writing Threesome Romance

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MackenzieGirl, Aug 8, 2018.

Hi again, I am back for the moment, because I have hit a problem. In one of my story's, (a high fantasy, in a medieval like world.) The male MC, A. Was going to fall in love with his childhood friend, a girl named L. But in the middle of the story, the two rebelled against me! They are deemed that I add their friend H, to the romance. I have no idea how to work a romance involving three people, into the story! I am looking for ideas on how they might all fall in love.

Here is some background information:
    A is the kings 16 year old ward. A past is bad, to say the least. His mother was the second wife of a lord, she was already pregnant when she was married. The lord was angry when he found out A was not his son, but a bastard. A's mother died in childbirth, leaving him a the mercy of the lord. A does not remember at time when he was not being abused or neglect in some way by the lord. The abuse went from emotional, to physical, to sexual. A was 11 when the king found out, and rescued him. He is now a fairly good warrior, and a vary good leader.

L (the girl), is 15, she is the kings niece. She was the first person to gane A's trust, after he was rescued. When the story starts they have not seen one another in almost four years. She has a gentle spirit, but can also be vary stubern. Her family wishes her to marry for power, she wishes for love, and adventure.

H, (the one that was NOT going to be involved) the 15 year old, son of a lord, he met A when the to where in training to become knights. Fast friends, the two have been throw a lot together. H is mostly what you expect of a young man in the nobility.

sorry this went longer than I thought, and got a bit off topic.

2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Those 2 have Edvard Westermark between them. That is why they can't fall in love with each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

3. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

I'm not sure I really understand what's going on here.
    But let's see if I can get this right
    You have two characters you have long planned to be in a relationship, but then you get a new character that you want to involve in this relationship, but you're concerned about how that would work?
    Why is it that you originally wanted these two characters to be in a relationship?
    Why is it that you want this new character to become involved?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think the ages of the characters may work against you a bit. We're used to teenagers being pretty fickle and "falling in love" with different people on a nearly monthly basis, so it may be difficult to present this as a genuine, balanced threesome.

But, if you're committed to trying... I think you need to sort out the nature of the relationship. Polyamorous people talk about primary and secondary relationships, sometimes, but other polyamorous people don't like that sort of hierarchy. There are triads that are classified as triangles (all three people involved are involved with each other) or Vs (one person has two partners, but the two partners aren't involved with each other). For your set-up, you'd need to decide if the two boys are bisexual and are attracted to each other as well as to the girl (triangle) or if they're straight and only attracted to her (V), or, I guess, if one of them is gay, the other is bisexual, and the bisexual one is the base of the V, in a relationship with with the gay boy and the straight girl... lots of things to sort out.

Overall, though... the ages of these characters is giving me serious hesitations. I don't doubt that teenagers are attracted to multiple people, but I think this is true of most teenagers, while most teenagers will probably not grow up to be officially polyamorous. And depicting anything non-standard in a teenage relationship is potentially controversial in a not-good way...

DK3654 likes this.
  5. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

@BayView makes a good point, teenage romance in general tends to be a somewhat fragile and fickle. Trying to make a fairly serious polyamorous relationship work at that age is very questionable.