1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Hesse's "Der Steppenwolf" auf Deutsch

Discussion in 'Research' started by Catrin Lewis, Jun 11, 2021.

I need help from our German speakers. Do any of you own a copy of Hesse's Der Steppenwolf in, you guessed it, the original German?

I need to find out what word or words Hesse actually used in a certain passage, but I can't lay hands on a library copy. Yes, I could buy my own in German, but what I need it for isn't worth the investment.

Here's the passage in English translation:

From the black mouth of an alley a man appeared with startling suddenness at my elbow, a lone man going his homeward way with weary step. He wore a cap and a blue blouse, and above his shoulders he carried a signboard fixed on a pole, and in front of him an open tray suspended by straps such as pedlars carry at fairs. He walked on wearily in front of me without looking round. Otherwise I should have bidden him a good evening and given him a cigar. I tried to read the device on his standard--a red signboard on a pole--in the light of the next lamp; but it swayed to and fro and I could decipher nothing. Then I called out and asked him to let me read his placard. He stopped and held his pole a little steadier. . . .
    I'm interested in Hesse's terminology for the object I've marked in italics. And does a pedlar who uses one called a specific name?

Vielen Dank'!

2. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Der Steppenwolf in English is The Step Wolf.

Had looked in an German/English dictionary to confirm and is correct from what you've given me.
    Note: if there is a mark on top of the letter, then this changes the entire meaning

3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Here. It's on Amazon for free with KindleUnlimited

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

The book was published in English under the name Steppenwolf—another way to say "wolf of the steppes', the steppe meaning flat grassland in southeastern Europe or Siberia. But @Catrin Lewis is looking for the original wording in German of that passage she quoted above.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  5. retardis

retardis Member

Currently Reading::
    Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph
    This is the German passage:

“Aus einer schwarzen Gassehschlucht dicht vor mir gespien, erschreckte mich ein Mensch, ein einsamer später Heimkehrer mit müdem Schritt, eine Mütze auf dem Kopf, mit einer blauen Bluse angetan, über die Schulter trug er eine Stange mit einem Plakat, vor dem Bauche trug er am Riemen eine offene Lade, wie sie die Verkäufer an Jahrmärkten tragen. Müde schritt er vor mir her, sah sich nicht nach mir um, sonst hätte ich ihn gegrüßt und ihm eine Zigarre geschenkt. Im Lichte der nächsten Laterne versuchte ich seine Standarte zu lesen, sein rotes Plakat an der Stange, aber es schwankte hin und her, ich konnte nichts entziffern. Da rief ich ihn an und bat ihn, mir das Plakat zu zeigen. Er blieb stehen und hielt seine Stange etwas gerade, ...”

am Riemen eine offene Lade <--> an open tray suspended by straps
    am Riemen = on the belt/strap
    eine offene Lade = an open tray/load

Kaufmann, Hausierer, (Straßen)händler, ... are other words for a peddler. I'm not sure whether a peddler who uses one of these has a certain name though.

6. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Curious; Hesse's got his page on project Gutenberg but not his works. Pretty sure they should be public domain by now.

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Are you sure? I thought I saw some online, but not 'Der Steppenwolf'.

'Der Steppenwolf' was published in 1927 but Hesse died 1962, so less than 60 years ago. So not sure which copyright law applies.