1. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Hey there, again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DavidGil, Jan 23, 2008.

I thought I'd reintroduce myself as I've been away for a long time and during my last stint here, I hadn't been active for long.

Some of you may know me from Writersforum.com and I'm still hanging around there but I'm hoping to be active here too.

Right, about me? I'm 22 and from the UK. I'm from Manchester to be specific. I'm about to start my first writing course this Friday and I'm prepping to send off a piece to a magazine which would be a first. I don't expect to win or come close but I'm looking for the critique only as I feel I can start to be proud of my writing.

What do I like to read? My book-shelves are full of fantasy. Namely, A Song of Ice and Fire, Scott Bakker's series and Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of The Fallen.

But I've also started building a collection of Stephen King books and crime ones to try and build on what I read. I'd like to get some of the classic books as well as I imagine they can only be beneficial to helping people become better writers.

What do I write? I write fantasy as can be gathered from the one piece I've posted on this forum but I think I'm quite a bit better now than I was then. I also write in different genres. My pieces in the real world tend to be better for some reason. But I'm hoping to fix that with the current fantasy piece I'm writing.

Regardless, that's me. I hope any critiques I give out are helpful and I might share the work I'm working on right now once I've sent it off, so I don't become influenced with critiques. I want it to feel like if I have any luck, it's because of what I've managed to produce without much advice, basically.

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hey there David and welcome to forum from a fellow writingforums.com member :)

3. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Thanks for the welcome Shinn.

4. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hiya there, David. Welcome to WF.org

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Since you've been around...you must know the rules (hello, I did post in your last thread) so welcome, gangster! And don't skip this site ever again otherwise I'll hit you with my cookies.

6. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Thanks for the welcomes.

Anthraxx, I'm familiar with the rules yes. I'll be sure to stick around this time as well as I'd rather not be hit by cookies. ;) You could hit me with worse things though. At least they're tasty. *grins*

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome back.

8. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Welcome............back.....!!

~Neha~

9. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Thank you for the welcomes, Banzai and Ray.

10. Shreyass

Shreyass New Member

Hey, and welcome back. I've read your blog, interesting stuff about coming out of the slump.

11. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Hey Shreyass, thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you found what I posted on my blog to be interesting.

I just hope it's helpful for people if they're finding it hard producing work that is worthwhile reading.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello again David, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't re-explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

13. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Welcome to WF.org I hope that you have a most wonderful and pleasant time here with all of us.
    Torana