1. Cadagan

Cadagan New Member

Hey there, writing forum friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cadagan, Aug 3, 2015.

Hey :)

I woke up one morning with an idea which I thought was really cool, and after a little bit of fleshing it out, I started writing a novel. (I wrote about 50,000 words in 1.5 months - I'm told that's good, is it?)

Since then, I've slowed down a bit so I can fully plan / flesh out the story. I also wrote 3 short stories in which I tried to imitate Lovecraft's style.

Anyway, I really want to do this for the rest of my life; I'm loving it. So I started reading up on actually getting stuff published and realized that networking was a good idea. So here I am. :)
    Any advice for a 5 month old writer? Either in general, for writing, or for this forum?

Thanks for reading.

Lindsey Leach likes this.
  2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Hello! Your name is fun.

The only thing I can say regarding your journey is that you should always be prepared to feel lost. lol I've been writing for nearly 10 years in an effort to get published one day, and I still have no idea what I'm doing. :D

Don't worry either about how much you write in what amount of time. Everyone is different. Some people can write an entire novel in less than a month. Other's take years. It's not quantity of words, it's quality. :)

3. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Hello, as a fellow newbie writer, I can't offer much advice. I have written about 25,000 words of my WIP in the past two weeks. Plus all of the researching like you have been doing. One of the other members (I can't remember who so I apologize for not giving them the credit) posted this link:
    http://www.writeaboutdragons.com/brandon_w2012/
    which is a lecture series given my a published author. It was very helpful for me, so I am just passing it along.

P.S. If the original poster reads this, thanks for the link!

4. Song

Song Active Member

Welcome to the forum :superhello:

50,000 words in a month and a half is alot. Thats practically half a book. You are a machine! haha
    I can only write about 20,000 and that's pushing it. :superwhew:

5. Cadagan

Cadagan New Member

I watched a few of those videos last night, they're pretty awesome! They've inspired me to get back off my butt and continue writing properly :p

6. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

Welcome, keep up the lunatic pace so long as the passion is sustaining it, chill out a bit when ya feel it wavering :D

7. Cadagan

Cadagan New Member

Where are good places to get my stuff looked at and/or "Out there."?

8. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Here. There is a workshop tab at the top of the page. you can post your work there, but there are rules. 1) You have to post on others threads (like I am right now) 20 times 2)you have to have the account for two weeks 3) you have to read and give a critique to at least 2 other members work.

Since I am new here too, my ability to post just opened on Sunday.

9. lostinbuffalo

lostinbuffalo New Member

Congratulations on not only your inspiration, but on your lively effort to develop it!
    :) Keep up the good work!

I'm new here, too. I've only recently made the decision to "seriously" pursue writing. Though I've been writing most of my life, the writing I did was not what I wanted to write. Writing was just another of the many responsibilities of my job, be it ad copy, orientation & training guides, referral letters, incident reports or whatever was required.

Don't know if this might sound presumptuous since I've never written anything beyond about 10,000 words, but here's the advice I can share: Do your best to keep your work organized. I know from writing training manuals how easy it is to get mired in details. (In my defense, this is work I did long before PCs/Macs--even the Commodore!) And, from the reading I've done lately on many writing web sites, scene lists, character charts and similar tools can be invaluable to maintain plot continuity and character behavior.

Best of luck to you with your project! I'm so looking forward to getting to know everyone here and to learning a lot!!

10. Lindsey Leach

Lindsey Leach New Member

Cadagan,
    Welcome to the forums! I am also a new to the website. What is your favorite style of writing?