1. evak2979

evak2979 New Member

Hi - here goes!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by evak2979, Sep 4, 2017.

Hello everyone :)
    My name's Evan and I've been interesting in writing for a very long time.

Naturally, I've been scared of putting pen to paper, and more often than not I struggle with my own (yet rather common) phobias (e.g. you're not good enough, you don't know what you're doing, etc.)

Nevertheless I've decided to join the forum and, perhaps, start to shyly share my attempts while learning from others'.

A question I have for anyone in London would be - are you aware of any good evening creative writing courses? I want to join one (not online), since I think it would motivate me but I am not sure which one is good and which one is not.

Thanks once more.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Even. :)

Deep breath, Even. Everyone starts at the beginning. Everyone. Just start. Don't judge yourself if the first pages look like rubbish. Everyone's first pages look like rubbish. On into the fray, old chap!

You'll have gotten a PM from me upon joining. Answer to most of the more frequently asked questions about our forum can be found there.

Have fun!
    Wrey :supercool:

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi Evan,

I second Wrey. Everyone starts at the beginning, but we all get better (or at least I hope I do, as judging my own writing is a loosing battle). But as long as you have fun in the process, you'll do :)

As far as London's creative writing scene, I don't have a clue. Maybe ask @Tenderiser ? I'm afraid I don't know who else is from London and can give you pointers. Tenderiser: I hope you'll forgive me for tagging you.

But whatever else you do, have fun figuring things out. Welcome!

Tenderiser and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    GIR Waving.gif
    I third Wreybies.
    Just relax and you will come into your own.
    It can be a bit scary at first, but the lovely
    people here are quite pleasant.
    Some of us a tad mad, but not too imposing. :p
    Good luck and have fun.:supersmile:
    Take this Shark Edition.jpg

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm glad you summoned me - you now owe me your firstborn son.

Hello Evan. I'm also from London but have no idea about creative writing courses - if I were to take one, it'd be online (me being a social leper terrified of 3D human contact). But when I googled "[my town] writing group" I found one just a few miles away. Writing groups are a hell of a lot cheaper than courses (maybe a few quid to cover room hire and refreshments) and you'll get the contact and motivation you're after.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. J.A. Anthony

J.A. Anthony New Member

Hi Evan!

Writing can be scary because it's so personal but that's how I found out not to care. I started writing things I would read and for myself, and soon that self doubt went away, it's not that I don't care entirely, it's just that I know my work is my best and we're always learning and bettering ourselves. Squish your shyness with your writing!

P.S. Hope you find a course!