Tags:
  1. Windcaller

Windcaller New Member

Re-Learning the Ropes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Windcaller, Jun 10, 2019.

Hi everyone, Windcaller here!

After browsing the forums for some time, reading the threads and getting a general feel of the site, I decided to join. I usually lurk forums, but I thought it was time to push myself out of my comfort zone. I'm not really new to creative writing per se, but I definitely have a lot learn about the craft. In another lifetime, I used to write short stories on an old writing site, but I eventually lost interest and moved on to other things.

However, I recently came back to the hobby after an English teacher of mine urged me to give it another try. Thanks to school, I haven't been able to write anything, but now that I'm on a much-deserved summer break (after a solid year and a half of continuous schooling), I can finally afford the time to rekindle my old passion.

Currently, I'm writing a short story. My preferred genre is fantasy, but I might experiment with other genres to challenge myself and write outside my comfort zone (a running theme, I now find). Whether I'll consider publishing...

Well, I'll leave that problem for future-me :bigwink:

In the meantime, I'll have fun with magic, fantastical lands, and otherworldly creatures. I hope to learn a lot here and improve my craft. See you all around!

marshipan, Alan Aspie and Maverick_nc like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:Greetings, welcome, and salutations.

Lots of helpful peoples here. :supersmile:
    Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:
    TakeThis.jpg

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Welcome to the site! I like your goals for writing - I hope you find what you're looking for.

4. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

A warm welcome to you!

5. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

That's us, the forumites.

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Windcaller

I have meant to welcome you to the forum, along with the others who have responded more quickly than me! I've been having one of those 'weeks,' but I think it's drawing to a close. Deep breath....

Well done to getting back to writing, especially after digging in to school for so long. I hope your summer produces work you're pleased with, and that time spent away from the 'real world' leaves you refreshed ...and with something to show for it as well. Yes, writing is a lot of work, but it's so pleasurable when you're telling stories that YOU want to tell. :)

To help you get more acquainted with how the forum works, here are a few links for you. The New Members Start guide is particularly important if you plan to put some of your work up for feedback. The Workshop section of the forum is the only place on the forum that this is allowed, and there are a few requirements new members must meet before the software allows them to do that. The New Member's Start guide should keep you right.

New Member Quick Start
    Forum Rules
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/staff.68/
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Some of my fellow moderators and myself have sent you a 'Conversation' message regarding a registration issue. I see you haven't been around this week to pick up the message, but please do once you return? And if you have any issues or problems at any time, please feel free to 'start a conversation' with me, by clicking on my owl avatar and going from there. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers for now,
    Jan