1. Jacob.

Jacob. New Member

Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jacob., Aug 24, 2014.

Hey everyone,

Name's Jacob- I guess you could say I'm a beginning writer since I haven't done any published or "professional" pieces and am still a fair way from mastery over creative writing. However, I've been a very active writer in high-quality written Roleplaying and fan fiction and love to create poetry and write random fiction in my spare time. Writing has always come very naturally to me; when I was in my early teens, I used to edit, proofread, and re-write college and university level papers for family friends and I breezed through college writing courses with highest marks.

I love writing accents (Scottish, anyone?), archaic English, legal language and generally all sorts of styles that exist within the English language. As far as writing personal fiction goes, I have a tendency to create hugish fantasy/steampunk series with sprawling plots and multiple characters in my head and then never actually get around to writing anything. :p
    One aspect of writing that I'm still struggling with is short stories- I love reading them, but I'm still trying to get a grip on building a condensed and meaningful plot in a small writing window.

My favorite authors include Brian Jacques (Redwall), Tolkien (duh), J.K Rowling (ditto), Jules Verne, Howard Pyle, Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson series), and Allison Croggon (Pellinor).

Favorite movies/tv shows include The Legend of Korra, The Matrix, How To Train Your Dragon (1 & 2), Sherlock Holmes, LOTR/The Hobbit, and all of Hayao Miyazaki's (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) and Akira Kurosawa's (Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress) movies.

Along with writing, my passions include traditional kung fu and martial arts and organic farming.

Looking forward to get some writing done here!

2. hiya7799

hiya7799 New Member

Hi there Jacob! As everyone usually says ,welcome to the forums! Wow you edit college papers sounds cool!! I am also a fan of writing fantasy as well ^^ I like How to Train you Dragon, Sherlock, and also the movies made by Hayao Miyazakis as well c: I hope you'll do well with your writing on here!!

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

On behalf of the staff, welcome to the forum!
    Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. :)

Have fun!
    -Kat