1. Jason20679

Jason20679 New Member

Hi

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jason20679, Dec 15, 2011.

Hi all,

I don't know if this place to be but i'm getting desparate for advice and stuff now.
    I'm not a writer. It's never been a strong subject for me but in this past year i've been getting ideas for books/films.
    When an idea pops into my head i sit and think about it and build on it untill i'm sat staring into space because i'm watching a film, i've just come up with, in my head. When i mention it to my wife she tells me that i need to write it down. This is where my trouble starts.
    I went out and bought a note pad and found a pen that i'm comfortable with (i had to do that because my handwriting is quite poor) and i sat trying to write the film down.
    I wanted to write it down as an idea (as a draft) but as i start writing it all comes out including what caracters are saying and doimg so i start writing it as a story. I get so far and then stop because 1, my hand hurts 2, i go off writing it as a story and in to a draft and 3, i get a block.
    I have a start, a middle and an end to most of my stories and a plot but as i say i'm not a writer and it's starting to frustrate me.
    I've started writing down for 2 stories, i have ideas for 4 others and yesterday another popped into my head.

I hope this makes sence and any advice or anything would greatly recieved

Thank you

J

2. Ross M Kitson

Ross M Kitson New Member

Hi Jason and welcome. I was much the same. I started keeping a pad with me at all times (except the shower) and scribbled down things as they came to me- dialogue, events, little things u see during the day, ideas etc. Then at a later point u just read through and it acts ad a prompt for more ideas or stuff u forgot.
    There's loads of stuff on here about story construction which will take u beyond that stage. I'd also recommend a creative writing course- it's a good networking experience if nothing else.
    Cheers
    Ross

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i mentor many aspiring screenwriters, so f you want help learning how to write a screenplay, drop me a line anytime...

to be a good writer, one must first be a good reader... so if you want to write short stories, or novels, the best way to learn how to do that is to READ... read constantly, the best works of the best writers of the kinds of stories you're coming up with, to see how it's done... love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. Jason20679

Jason20679 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for reply. My problem is putting ideas out of my head onto paper. I'm watching films in my head. I'll get an idea, like my last one about a helping fairy, and i'll start thinking about it and building it into a film until i'm, pretty much, watching my film from start to finish in my head. I just can't write it down.
    If there was a way to attach a camera to my head so everyone can watch it it would be easier. It really is frustrating me that i can't put pen to paper.

J

5. mammamaia

sounds to me like your only alternatives are to learn how to write, or hire a ghostwriter to do it for you...

6. Jason20679

Jason20679 New Member

Ghostwriter? Heard of them. How do they work? and How do i find them?

J

7. mammamaia

if you have an idea for a book or a screenplay, a ghostwriter will work with you to develop it into a workable plot and the write the book or the script for you... your name will appear on it as the author... but this is very costly... the fees for a professional ghostwriter run well into 5 figures... and there's no guarantee the work will ever sell, plus you're on your own to try to get an agent and sell the thing...

you can google for 'ghostwriting services'...

many in your situation think they can get someone to write the work for them in return for credit as co-writer and half of the 'profits' but no professional writer will take such a deal, because there's so little [or no] chance there'll ever be any profits... and if you have another amateur doing the work, it's most likely not going to be done well enough to interest any agent/publisher/producer...

sorry for being so negative, but they're just the sad facts of life in the publishing and film industries...