1. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KiraAnn, May 20, 2019.

New member from the great state of Texas!

As retirement approaches, I decided to get back into writing science fiction and/or fantasy adventures. A not very sympathetic teacher in the 3rd grade demolished my aspirations back in the sixties, and I am determined to flip her the finger, metaphorically speaking.

Some of my favorite authors, in no particular order, are Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles dickins, Jules Verne, alexandre dumas, James fenimore cooper, doc smith, robert e Howard, Robert heinlein, Paul Anderson and most especially Edgar Rice Burroughs.

marshipan, Some Guy and Alan Aspie like this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Howdy.gif :supergrin:
    Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:
    Take this Shark Edition.jpg

3. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hail friend! :superhello:

Welcome! Go forward and fight the odds. Let your stories shine in the dark and even more at daylight. Have fun! :superagree:

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi KiraAnn, and welcome to the forum!

I'm already retired, and what do I do with my time? I hang out on the forum—because it's fun, and also because it has been an immense help to me,with aspects of my writing.

Of course, flip that finger! :twisted: It's terrible that a teacher (of all people) was so discouraging towards your aspirations, but now's the chance to prove her wrong. And you can. If you have the desire to write and reasonable expertise with language, there is no reason you can't succeed. Have you got a story in the works, yet? Either in your head, or partly written?

Anyway, I hope you'll take the time to check out these three sites before you dig in. They will help get you oriented and get you acquainted with how we operate.

The New Member Start Guide is to get you off on the right foot. Pay careful attention to the section about posting your work for critique, because there are a few requirements you must meet before you can do that. Pretty much all the other options the forum offers are open to you right away, so have a look around contribute to any of the threads that interest you, etc. The more you make constructive comments, the more people will get to know you and engage with you.

Also check the Rules. These are more comprehensive than the New Member Guide, and they apply to all members, no matter how long they are with us.

And also check the staff introduction link. It will tell you a bit about all the Admin and Super Moderator people here (with the exception of Iain Aschendale, who has not had a chance to write his bio yet, but he is 'one of us' as well.) Don't hesitate to contact me (via a 'conversation' ...you can find that option if you click on my avatar) if you run into any problems or have any questions I can help you with.

Explore the menu bar at the top of the Community page, especially the 'Information' section. If you scroll down that, you'll come to FAQ. That contains links to most of our forum locations, so if you can't find something, try that!

In the meantime, have fun, and get to know us. Look forward to seeing you on the threads>

Cheers, Jan

New Member Quick Start
    Forum Rules
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/staff.68/