1. croooow

croooow New Member

Horror advice

Discussion in 'Horror' started by croooow, Sep 9, 2008.

i really love horror movies and books. and i have a soft spot for animal horror movies(jaws,piranha,tremors,mimic,alligator) and im having a hard time trying to figure out what type of animal or insect to use. any advice?

i also am in the process of trying to come up with a story thats close to movies like vacancy,THEM (Ils),or something involving cannibals. its just so hard to come up with a story thats original.

ive been trying to write since i was a kid and never been successful but i keep trying. any hints or tips to get over writers block.
    thanks

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The only way to get around writer's block is to write. Develop a disciplimne to write something each day, whether it makes a lot of sense or not.

Read, and think about different ways to take the story ideas you read. Watch movies, google your favorite themes for ideas to put out your own interpretation of.

3. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

I've always wanted to film and direct a B movie I've titled "Attack of the Ankle Biters". It revolves around killer Shizus. Technically theay are alien Shizus. If you want actually scary horror creatures, snakes, sharks, lizards, and birds have been done to death. I'd try something like a blood thirsty wolf, or bear. Maybe a black panter got loose from a zoo and got a taste for human blood? Or a white tiger, something interesting, unique.

4. Ladder Writer

Ladder Writer New Member

Invest in a good encyclodpedia of animals and have a good look through. You will find something you will never have thought of, and then you've got some information to begin your research.

We can't come up with ideas for you, but try to brainstorm your own. Start of jotting down everything you know about cannibals - go on different sites and put together all the information you can find. You may pick up on a small piece of information or a character trait that has never been focused on before

5. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Too late.

6. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Ok got to come up with a new name but at least the movie was about vampires. Be it really really short ones. :)

7. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

How about the candiru? Look it up.

8. Nolberto_Engelbert

Nolberto_Engelbert New Member

Wordsworth used opium, but I guess that's a bit out of the question...

Nothing beats writers block like a walk, a cigarette, a fresh conversation or a glass of wine. Stimulate your senses and inspire yourself with some music, scenery, film or literature.

9. rlroberts7

rlroberts7 New Member

good advice... i shall do so

10. rlroberts7

rlroberts7 New Member

what about those freaky fish in the deep depths of the ocean?

11. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Angler fish, do you mean? The ones with light bulbs strapped to their heads? They're freaky. Bet there are lots of creepy things down there in the darkness. :)

Personally, and I appreciate this is borderline blasphemy for writers but, I quite enjoy horror for its unoriginalness (that may not ever be a word :D )! I really enjoy B horror movies and stuff because they're just so perfectly contrived. At the end of the day, if something isn't broke, don't fix it. It's the writing, the building of suspense and the 'reveal' of the creature that makes monster-horror fun, in my opinion. So, I reckon pen to paper and away you go! I wouldn't get hung up on originality for now - write something fun, that you yourself love.

12. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

LOL I like horror movies for the opposite reason. They're generally so bad that they are good. :) I watched a movie called "Black sheep." It actually has killer sheep as the main monster. LOL Killer sheep rock. And if they bite you, then you become a sheepman. Best bad movie ever.

13. architectus

architectus Banned

Put different ideas together and see what happens. Genetic alteration, scientific experiments gone bad, ape, man, super fighter . . .

The government hired scientist to genetically splice man and gorilla to make the ultimate soldier? Some of them escaped? They are pissed off because the know they are smart enough to know they are ugly monsters, and man is responsible. Hmm, that is sort of like that monster wolf thing in Watchers by Dean Koontz, but different enough.

Aliens come to earth and one of their mutant experiments escape.

Something comes to life that normally should not be alive. Like dolls, but that has been done. Toys, that has been done. Start thinking of random things that could come alive and it would be scary. Some sort of spill in a forest that caused the trees to mutate. They now thirst for blood.

Throw different ideas like that together, and you will come up with ideas.

Man gets stuck on an island. Discovers a backward tribe of cannibals. He fights them, some big struggle, but ultimately proves himself and t hey except him. He loathes the idea of eating humans, but they give him no other choice. When he finally escapes and makes it back to the real world, he craves human flesh. It changes him, and he slowly transforms into a cold blooded killer, and a cannibal. Hey that is a pretty good idea, I think I will use it. Thanks man writing this has inspired me.