Tags:
  1. lee0111

lee0111 New Member

How can I make a very long story about the main character?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lee0111, Oct 31, 2019.

I've read a lot of writing on Plot, but it felt as if they were only talking about the way they ended a story like a movie.
    There seemed to be a bit of an unsuitable story for a series that has been in use for nearly a decade, or for a theory about Japan's long-running manga story.
    Is there any book or blog that is theoretically taking an in-depth approach to this while maintaining a view of plots?
    Please don't tell me you don't need a long story. i need it. i want very very long story.

2. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

What medium would you be writing the story for? And is there an example of a story that you can provide that you would consider long?

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Read some very very long books. War in Peace, Shogun, The Stand. If there's one commonality in all of those, it's a buttload of POV characters doing a buttload of things. Or it covers a long time frame.

Xoic and Medazza like this.
  4. Espiritu Noble

Espiritu Noble New Member

For a very very very long story.
    You need much material and characters that are multilayer.
    May I suggest a story about a common characters that appears in many mithologys an immortal character that through out the ages has shaped and molded society.
    That has seen many if not all empires rise and crumble.
    Now if you do something like this you must do it in a rather interest way
    You should keep your MC human and not elevate him as a God but as a human being that makes mistakes he must have a rather difficult goal.
    He can't be too serious otherwise otherwise it might be boring.
    That being said Very Long stories aren't my force.

I hope I might have been of any help

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

a very long story is made up of shorter stories in the same way that a shorter story is made up of scenes

Xoic, Richach, Lifeline and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

It really doesn't matter what you want, it matters what makes for a good story. That said, if you read long-running manga, you find that it's really a whole bunch of small stories told sequentially. This usually goes on until the manga-ka gets bored and moves on to something else or the readership drops so low that it gets cancelled.

Xoic likes this.
  7. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

All you really need are reasons that the story is still going. Is it a single, yet very long story spanning months or years, or it several distinct stories that all star the main character?

8. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure what your problem is. Consider the book Little Big Man by Thomas Berger. Except for a short prologue and epilogue by the "editor," it's a story narrated in the first person by the main character. There's almost nothing substantial in the book that he personally doesn't experience and has to relate second-hand. The "supporting cast" comes and goes, but the story remains told through his eyes, and with his voice.

9. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Since you mention manga, are you aware that eastern story structure is often different from western? Look up examples of kishoukentetsu structure. It's basically a 4-act structure that returns to a stasis. It lends itself to episodic stories that go on and on (like a shonen anime).

Here's one site. https://mythicscribes.com/plot/kishotenketsu/

Xoic likes this.