How Come I Am Not a Vampire?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Jun 3, 2014.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Well I'm a sucker for puns.

Gawler likes this.
  2. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Listen, man

You are a human being. Using some form of magic to become a vampire will not work. Any surgery to become a "vampire" will only serve to mutilate you and cause health problems. I know vampires are cool. I know real life is boring.

But.

This kind of obsession is not healthy.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think I just got so used to seeing "Phone" as a normal word, and a slight alteration of the O in Phone doesn't make that much difference to me.

Somehow I was thinking of "phonics" when you wrote the word "phonetically" and so my brain was like, "ph is part of phonics so it makes sense".

I dunno... I'm confused. When I was a kid, I never memorised spelling in terms of phonics in any case, nor necessarily phonetically. I looked for patterns. In the case of the word "phonetically" I looked for the word "phone", since I would already know how to spell 'phone', then there's the word "net" but "ne" wouldn't have to be repeated, cus the letters are already there. "Tic" and then simply the common ending of "ally" (such as "basically", "hypothetically" etc) And then the double L because of the vowel beforehand in the case of "phonetically". It's essentially an odd mixture of straight up memorisation garbled with knowledge of letter sounds and phonics, and I swiched systems as and when it suited me. But never would I use such a system to pronounce things - I pronounced it the way I was told it's pronounced. It's two separate systems in my head.

I guess you could say it's the same system I used to memorise Chinese. For example the word "river" is composed of three drops of water and the word that sounds like "river". So you take one look and you see - okay, it probably sounds like this word here but since I can see there's a water element to it, it must have something to do with a body of water. In this case, a river. But I would assume the same if I saw the water element beside a different component I'd never seen. And that's exactly how I'd memorise writing it next time. Or there's a "riddle" for the word "to listen", which is composed of the words: ear, ten, four (or fourteen if you combined them), one, heart. Not got a clue why, but by memorising these units as a whole, you've got the word "listen". It means you're not memorising every line - you're memorising sections you already know off by heart. Which is exactly how I memorised English spelling for much of my life, and it works beautifully. To give a very simple example, nobody memorises the spelling for the word "writer" from scratch - you don't start with the letter W anymore. You just think: "Spell the word 'write' and add an R" :)

In any case, I'm just used to pronouncing words as they should be, all right? :angle:

@BayView - I've been looking for that ghoti example everywhere!! When my ex showed me that example, that was the first time I realised English spelling made zero sense. But I could never remember the example myself...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015