How do activities that characters might do during a dialog come to you?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Brigid, Aug 27, 2017.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

What the characters are doing during the dialogue very much dictates the beats. If they're doing the grocery shopping together the beats would be stuff like:

"I've no idea," Julie said coldly, scrutinising the nutritional information on the side of the cornflakes pack to show her lack of interest.

The best answer you've had so far is from @jannert a couple of posts above. Take her advice and apply it best you can.

2. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Surrealscenes, sometimes, I sit there with my hands in my lap just starring. Lol.

But it is a good idea reminding myself what I do in public when taking with others.

izzybot likes this.
  3. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

I like this example, OurJud. This is exactly what I meant. You add to the scene by giving Julie something to do with the beat. Plotting comes easier to me than these beats.

4. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

Hi Jannert,

Thanks for your solid advice. I get your point. I however don't seem to be the only one having problems with the beats because there are now books like the Emotion Thesaurus.

I have another full-time job. Don't depend on making money with writing, so I really can take my time. :)

5. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

I assume that you were hungry when you wrote the above or it was short before dinner time ChickenF, but that is okay. :) Maybe you are a natural beat writer or you take your time or both.

6. Brigid

Brigid Active Member

I checked the free section of this book on Amazon. Interesting read. Dark but entertaining. He skipped beats and tags a lot.

OurJud likes this.
  7. OurJud

Yes but bare in mind he's quite unique on this. It's not the norm but does demonstrate how dialogue can be done without tags and beats.

8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

And quotes, commas, colons, semicolons, ellipses, em dashes...

OurJud and Simpson17866 like this.
  9. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

That is how it starts. If 2 people are talking in a kitchen, they will be doing something different than 2 people in a warehouse, bar, movie theater, shopping mall, etc. A scene set in a moving vehicle is a great way to show the quirks of 2 people talking (or not).

10. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I like writing dialogue. Not that I'm good at it, but, becoming effective with dialogue is a goal of mine. I believe that a few choice lines of dialogue can really connect the reader with the characters and pull them into the story. That said, that is not for every story and every writer. It is the kind of writer I want to be and the stories I would like to tell.
    Advice that guides my approach to a scene with dialogue is'begin late and end early'. The reader doesn't need to hear the start and stopping on an entire conversation, even short ones. Once the conversation begins, I use tags simply to allow the reader to skim the lines without having to stop to orientate themselves to who is talking. I use beats to keep the conversation anchored in the setting, what the characters are doing and the passage of time. Tags and beats, in my opinion, are there to keep the reader in the flow of the dialogue without drawing the reader out from the dialogue.
    Godspeed!

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

On the whole beats are better as little things grins, smiles, grimaces, sips of coffee, rubs of forehead things you do during every conversation

"blah blah blah" bob grinned

rather than

"meh yeh meh" bob changed the wheel on his car

The exception to that is when dialogue takes place in a highly charged scene whether that's action, sex or whatever where the action itself becomes the beats

"Wire cutters, pliers, something sharp" Lance ripped out a clump of wires from the device cursing as electicity pulsed through his hand "jesus, nail clippers, anything"

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Technically that's not a beat at all - "Julie said" so "said" is the tag followed by the action

"I've no idea" Julie read the side of the conflake packet, would be a beat, but not a particularly strong one.

13. OurJud

I'd say your example was dialogue followed by an unrelated action. I thought a beat was supposed to compliment the dialogue somehow?

14. big soft moose

It is, that's why that example is weak as a beat

a stronger version would be "I have no idea" Julie shook her head

Key point though is that beats don't involve tags so if it has Julie said (or whsipered, shouted, screamed, moaned or whatever it aint a beat

15. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think it varies based on the tone of the dialogue. Some things
    just can't be conveyed by action, depending on the character.
    So you can't avoid tags entirely. But maybe you can, IDK,
    I am not a strong writer and like to try cracking a joke in the
    middle of an intense moment for a bit levity. Without some
    tags you can't contrast between scene and dialogue. That and
    during the course of a long conversation, most change tone and
    expression between discussion topics.

So yes you can simply have some one nod or shake their head
    to a simple question. But for more complex and lengthy dialogue
    and questions, will have more of a response than simply making
    a motion. It all falls down to your characters persona.
    Take a look at an extreme example, such as having a battle hardened
    soldier vs. a petite woman, and have them put in a situation where
    they are about to be tortured and they both have the same information.
    See what I mean that actions cannot always express the tone of the
    situation. Sometimes you have to mix tags and actions, or it won't
    have the same effect of using one over the other.

IDK, I am bad this writing thing, but I try to have a decent thought
    once in a while. :D (Also my dialogue is not the strongest, but it is
    getting better.) :p

16. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I like to do four things -- look to setting. Setting offers props, things to eye (distractions) or touch or do, feelings like weather, an uncomfortable chair, an awful piece of cake the character is avoiding eating but doesn't want to hurt her friend feelings etc.
    Conflict - like the cake thing - whenever I went to my friend's birthday part as a kid the conversation would get awkward when the cake was brought out -her mother was a cake decorator and I could never stand icing - it was quite awkward. The conflict in the dialogue can be relayed in gestures, lies, obscuring, things that aren't said. What's the conflict in the conversation
    Emotions - people carry a lot of baggage - sometimes conversations are covering for past or present hurts, and certain words can be keys to past pain. You might think they mean nothing but ... they mean something. Someone talking about how their son disappointing them about trivial things could annoy her friend if she hasn't heard from her own son in years. They could get snippy for no apparent reason. This could be the moment to offer the reader some insight -- the character doesn't have to be doing anything, just wishing or desiring something. During one of my conversations in my WIP my 14 year old mc is saying goodbye to his best friend whom he won't see for six months and hopes his friend will hug him goodbye as he's too embarrassed to make the gesture himself.
    Reactions - there's also reactions to what's being said. Cringes, guffaws, eye brow raising, stomping off, a sucker punch, swallowing your pride, apologizing, faking interest, tuning people out, etc.

Dialogue is less about info and more about showcasing the character's identity by how they respond and how the others respond to their response. How they make themselves appear and how they are perceived.

izzybot and surrealscenes like this.
  17. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

That. Right now I go about 50/50 and trying to lessen the info.

18. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Most of my brainstorming comes from using knowledge and observations of body language during certain contexts. I try to make every action during dialogue say something that the character isn't, or at least emphasize what is being said.

19. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I view things in my head like I'm watching a movie. I will do a rough draft blow by blow to get the basic down before going back through later and polishing up emotions and other important things. Better to have a base to work with then to struggle to push words to the key board.