How do I create a gay character without being disrespectful?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by cutecat22, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

1. Of course I'm willing to write him other than a stereotype - that's why I posted the question.
    2. Misconceptions? Everything I "know" about gay men, cannot be wrong - those misconceptions came from somewhere.
    3. What's wrong with a pair being of a masculine half and a feminine half? the natural order (DO NOT DARE TO CONFUSE ME WITH SOMEONE WHO IS ANTI-GAY) the natural order of life and procreation, in ALL species, plant and animal included, is to have each pairing with a feminine contribution and a masculine contribution, having a relationship with someone/thing of the same sex, is only un-natural in that offspring cannot be produced, so even if you are attracted to someone of the same sex, there's nothing to say that a man cannot be attracted to another man who is more feminine in his ways, or a woman to a woman who is more masculine in her ways.
    4. Normal? HA! I have been through too much in my life to know what normal is. I absolutely hate the word normal, there is no normal, so please don't paint me in that light.

2. cutecat22

for the sake of Chase, A&B are linked.

I'm 16 years younger than my husband, because of that, I'm more likely to know what's in the top ten music charts while he doesn't.

3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Look, I get where you're trying to come from here, but please, just stop.

Tenderiser likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That

Gay men like to have sex with men yeah, so why would one partner pretend to be a woman ?

This stereotype springs from prison and more particularly prison films , and the reason for that is that the macho giver in those relationships isn't gay, hes just dealing with there not being any women present .... (its also worth noting that in a lot of cases the reciever in those 'relationships' isnt gay either, he's being coerced)

Those 'relationships' have as much to do with how gay men behave as date rape has with a healthy heterosexual lifestyle

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Of course it can be wrong. It can absolutely be wrong. Why would you ever assume that it couldn't be wrong?

Think of the incredibly racist depiction of blacks in the movies of the 1930's and 40's. Many people "knew" all sorts of things about blacks from those movies. And what they "knew" was wrong.

I just saw a performance of An Octaroon, which retained some of the language of The Octaroon, the play that is its subject. An "octaroon" was the term used for a person who is one-eighth black. The retained language was simply breathtaking in its elegantly-phrased utter wrongness.

There's a huge, huge difference between saying it's possible for two people of the same sex to choose to play those roles, and expecting it and assuming that it's an inherent part of a relationship--and, worse, reaching for one detail and assuming that it's connected with another. You are operating under immense misconceptions. Immense.

Tenderiser likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Before attempting to write a gay character you need to do a shitload of research to understand what being gay is about ... if you're not able or willing to do that you'd be best off dropping the whole gay character altogether or you are doomed to offending a lot of people.

to start with i'd suggest talking to some gay people without the preconceptions. Wrey is gay, and so is Minstrel may be start with them (or at least with minstrel since wrey is MIA thanks to the hurricane), Laurin isnt gay but writes a shit load of MM romance , ditto for bayview and so on.

that aside as i said above Gay men are attracted to men, not to women ... ergo they aren't only or mainly attracted to men who are really effeminate

ChickenFreak likes this.
  7. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

This might be a bit controversial, but I will take that risk. Art is freedom, don't let yourself be constrained by political correctness.

cutecat22 likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

...or accuracy?

Tenderiser, BayView and izzybot like this.
  9. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Okay, when find out I (a person who for all outward appearances seems to be straight white male) dated a guy before, pretty much the most asked question that's asked is, "So which one of you is the woman." It's implying that somehow you liking other guys makes you less of a man. Like you're somehow not quite human. Usually this comes from people who are either threatened or ignorant of such things and would rather belittle it and minimalize it than understand it. The answer is, neither one of us. This isn't like North and South or up and down. You don't have to have one without the other. It's more like you go to a restaurant and you want a two steaks and no salad, or two salads and no steak, or maybe even a steak salad. Yes, most people have both a steak and a salad, but just because you've never had two steaks at a time, doesn't mean it doesn't count as a meal. Just because every relationship you've ever been in has had a masculine and a feminine side that doesn't mean that that's how all relationships have to work.

10. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

I don't know the type of work he's writing. But he's not bound to be accurate. He should mold his characters according to his preferences and in accordance with his story. At least that's what I would do.

11. Laurus

Laurus Disappointed Idealist Contributor

Guys. Factually wrong vs morally wrong. You're talking around each other.

12. cutecat22

Because just maybe, somewhere in this vast universe, there a little spec of dust, on which you are wrong.

13. big soft moose

It depends if she a) wants to sell and b) doesn't want to start a fire storm of outrage (the thread title suggests at least the latter)

Of course a writer can write anything they want - but if you chose to write a stereotype laden story where the depiction of the only gay character is hugely inaccurately depicted, you need to be ready for a lot of poor reviews , and for accusations of homophobia

14. ChickenFreak

I'm fairly sure that we're both talking about factually wrong. Who do you think is talking morally wrong?

15. ChickenFreak

I'm not the one making huge assumptions about a substantial percentage of the population based on a bunch of fiction and two real-world examples.

Tenderiser and izzybot like this.
  16. big soft moose

Its not really that you are intentionally wrong- its that you've based your preconceptions on inaccurate and dated stereotypes, not on solid research. As I said if thats what you want to write feel free, but be prepared for the consequences if it ever sees the light of day

Fernando.C likes this.
  17. cutecat22

I know that's not how all relationships work.
    And I for one, would never ask someone in a gay relationship, who the woman is. That's just not on.

That being said, why can a man not be attracted to a feminine man?

Why can't a man be feminine?

18. ChickenFreak

That's not the point. The point is that a man being feminine (or using a particular handshake that I wouldn't call feminine, I'd just call nonstandard) is not going to tell the reader that he's gay.

Fernando.C, izzybot and cutecat22 like this.
  19. cutecat22

A substantial percentage of the population? I'm writing ONE character, and you are talking like that one character can not be the way I've described him.

20. cutecat22

Did you honestly think that would be the only 'indicator' I would write about him?

21. Reollun

Reollun Active Member

I agree. It's one thing to be intentionally disrespectful or create characters that fit with your prejudice/stereotypes about a particular subject, and the other to limit your creativity in order not to upset somebody or to conform to current social trends. One way or the other, no matter what he does, it's going to cause controversy.

cutecat22 likes this.
  22. cutecat22

@ChickenFreak Why did you think I came on here asking for help?

Because I don't want to get this wrong. I would've been happy with a list of "don't say this" and "do say that".

23. ChickenFreak

That is totally not what I'm saying. What I started out saying was that a particular handshake is not evidence that the character is gay. And now a big bag of stereotypes is coming out, and I'm saying that those stereotypes are not accurate, and that drawing your understanding of gay men primarily from fiction is not a good method of research.

I'm curious--do you understand that you have probably known a much larger number of gay men than you're aware of? You never responded to that. Do you even understand what i mean by that?

izzybot likes this.
  24. big soft moose

He can , he can even be gay and feminine ... however if hes the only gay character in your book it looks like you are saying all gays are effeminate. When you combine that with your lack of knowledge about what being gay is like you have a recipe for disaster

- for example you don't ask "who the woman is" not because its a personal question, but because its completely wrong ... a gay couple isn't a man and a man pretending to be a woman (or to be cruder one who gives and one who takes). Also even a gay man who prefers to take will not take kindly being thought of as the woman.

As i said you need to find out what being Gay is like if you are going to write anything other than a card board cut out... jus like you would for any other character trait.

Would you try and write a character who's an artist without knowing anything about art, or a tree surgeon without knowing anything about arboriculture etc. Hell would you try to write a heterosexual character being unfaithful without any idea about adultery ?

Fernando.C and cutecat22 like this.
  25. ChickenFreak

But it's not an indicator at all.

The indicators that a man is sexually and romantically attracted to other men is to depict or refer to those sexual and romantic attractions. That's all. Nothing, nothing else is required.

You can write a man who doesn't happen to refer to a sexual or romantic relationship, make him a pivotal character throughout the whole book, and then add one comment where he says, "Hang on, my husband's calling," as he picks up his cell phone, and you have a gay character.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.