How do YOU come up with your characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by 11thHour, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

It really depends, where for some of my characters I don't bother, others, such as Isake and Kilnir, where a lot of culture/need relies on appearance, i include it within to colour the ms, but only where i feel appropriate.

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

True confession: My female mains and the plot idea generally spring into my mind together, and usually they're both triggered by an event or impression in my own experience. After that, I get to work making them Not-Me, and surround them with the supporting characters I need to tell their story.

One exception is a character that rose out of a writing class exercise, when the teacher brought in the photo of an elderly woman and we brainstormed who she was, what problem she was facing, etc.

3. JhanaJunkie

JhanaJunkie New Member

I focus within, sit down, close my eyes, pull inwards, I place the idea of what I'm looking for within my space, a silhouette, and see what my mind develops, the more senses involved the better. Sometimes, it develops on it's own, like a part of oneself wants to form, and it's only release is in paper. Usually the physical features fill in first, then a voice may come through, personality, smell, and texture, I prefer to work on it till it feels believable, almost an entity of it's own, if I don't believe it's real, or is too flat, then I toss it aside, though flat characters are pretty, if I'm going to write a story on it, it needs to be fleshed out. I play with it some, see how it works, etc. I kinda feel that all characters reside within, the problem is locating them, and pulling them out.