How do you feel about flashbacks in a novel?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Dragon Boy, Feb 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

I like a flashback if the story sort of eases into it, and is not just suddenly all like, "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the time when..." A flashback can be great to help explain a back story to complex to explain in the present, but can be confusing if it's not done well. A good flashback example would be in the Hunger Games when Peeta's name is drawn and Katniss says something along the lines of, "Oh no. Not him. We aren't friends, or even neighbors. We haven't ever spoken. In fact, our only contact was years ago..." and she explains the whole bread thing. A bad example is... well, I don't actually have a bad example, but I think you get the point.

2. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

I think flashbacks can be very useful and can be fun to use. They can add depth to the plot and can give readers chills if you can connect things or bring something back. It's sometimes interesting when time repeats itself.

3. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

well, in my novel i have a flashback. I decide to use it to mention other people that lost in time, some trait for my minor character and become an excuse for the next plot how the main character relation with this minor character and also their action and reaction.

And yeah, for me it's okay. Since i need this minor character not to mention a lot, but also picturing the relation with main character. And voila! after that event, i don't need to call this minor character anymore because what i need just an excuse

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I remember Neil Gaiman had some great ones in Anasani Boys. It's a very well-written fantasy.

5. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

If there's action and momentum in the flashback, I'm not too bothered by it. It beats having characters just sitting in a coffee shop talking about their pasts.

6. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I enjoy reading flashbacks but only if they're relevant to what's currently happening in the story and if they don't disrupt the overall pace. There's nothing more annoying than a flashback being thrown in the middle of a book when it's not serving a purpose in moving the plot along. Pick and choose wisely.

7. lilrotk

lilrotk New Member

I use it mainly if it has a specific meaning to a character. Normally to express guilt, regret, or pining for something that ceases to exist.