1. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

How do you get out of bed?

Discussion in 'Research' started by WriterDude, Jul 3, 2011.

Silly question, I know. But let's say a woman was in a coma about a month and woke up a few hours ago. She was out of bed for a while, then got back in to get some rest. But now she needs to leave the bed again, but how? Do people crawl out? Slide out? Fall out? Climb out? I simply get out of bed, but it doesn't quite fit in this occasion. She will get her feet out, but when she tries to stand, she'll fall again from wearyness (weariness?), so the other person has to catch her.

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

speaking realistically she should not be able to be up for a while after waking up, your in bed for a while and your musscle do not regain as quick as tv makes it seem it takes sometime, depining on how long they where in bed and why they were in the comma, they may stay awake in bed for a week or for ever

But let's asuume you story would work

You awnsed your onw qurestion she will slide out and fall where thet catch her, lots of pepole in commas need to work their legs mucsels before they cans tand on their own, i would recoeomdn crutchs and then have them work on it

3. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

If she hasn't moved on her own in a month, then her muscles will be severely weakened. She will have trouble standing on her own without a doubt.

People who are in comas or who are paralyzed from the neck down will commonly have someone help them do physical rehabilitation (even if someone has to move their limbs for them) becuase if the limbs are not kept limber, the muscles will attrophy and become useless.

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Thanks, both of you. I know her muscles would be a bit weak, so I'm thinking of reducing her coma to a few days. It's not exactly important for the story. She was in a car crash and wakes up as a prisoner, but that's about it. It doesn't matter how long she was in a coma. ;) I think she'll slide out of bed, or simply say "got out".

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'got up'

6. benfromcanada

benfromcanada New Member

Well, personally I levitate about 6 inches from the bed, prepare my spells for the day, then order my robot butler to hold out my pants for me to fly into.

However, a normal human woman who has been in a coma for a month would have some degree of atrophy. That said, after the initial, difficult time getting up (where she'd most likely have someone helping her) it would get progressively easier since she would, undoubtedly, be on a sort of exercise program which would start immediately. If this was her first time getting out without assistance, she'd probably flip herself onto her back and slowly push herself out from the side, to minimize injury if she can't stand. She'd use the bed as a support, of course, and probably move from support structure to support structure. If she had crutches or a cane, she'd get to that immediately.

Even if she's out for a few days, atrophy would begin setting in, especially if she was particularly active.