How do you guys reliably find books that you end up enjoying?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by U.G. Ridley, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Standards :cool:

I'm not an albums person: I can count – on two hands between the three of them – the number of bands, singers/songwriters, and composers who've produced more than half a dozen songs that I love listening to:
    • Within Temptation, We Are the Fallen / Ben Moody-era Evanescence, and 3 Doors Down (3.5)
    • Adele, James Blunt (2)
    • Murray Gold, Two Steps From Hell (2)
    Beethoven is a 2-hit wonder for me (5th and 9th).

EDIT: and even Within Temptation couldn't get me to go to a concert because they also have a large number of songs that I don't like in addition to the "massive" number that I do (10 originals and 9 covers).

The only professionally-published albums that I love listening to front-to-back is James Blunt's Back to Bedlam.

2. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

I didn't want to be the one to say it.

I love James Blunts all the lost souls. He tells beautiful stories.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

"I killed a man in a faraway land. My enemy I'm told."

4. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

That is my absolute favorite on the album. The chorus makes me so happy.

Followed by give me some love.

5. W.D.Wallace

W.D.Wallace Member

Me too, and when that happens i look in the genres i love

6. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Generally, its a shot in the dark for me. The only safety net I'll give myself is sticking to one genre. Which....probably makes me a genre snob. Goddamn.

But yea, sticking to one genre helps.

7. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Around 95% of the books I look at are from my Goodreads recommendations. If you're unfamiliar with the site, you just tell it what books you've read and rate them on a scale of 1-5 stars. Then, it gives you recommendations based on those books and the genres you like.
    Now, it's not a perfect system. Of the books it recommends, I maybe take a look at 25% or so (Mind you, it can recommend 100+ at a time, depending how many genres you like). And of those 25%, I probably finish/like... less than half, to be honest. But I'm a finicky reader. Things usually need to grab my attention and hold it throughout a novel or else it gets put down. And if you decide to use the site, be careful how many ultra popular books you tell it that you like. I'm still getting YA dystopian books about kids revolting against super corrupt governments since I like the Hunger Games. :p