How do you remove and and was from your writing?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by architectus, Jan 22, 2009.

1. architectus

architectus Banned

I am pretty sure I will never use the word whereupon, lol.

Atari, I think your examples of how to remove and were good, all but the whereupon example. However, I think in this particular case, the one I used is best. I can't think of a better way to word it unless I break it into two sentences, which just sounds odd.

So, I went with: His mother skipped in from the kitchen and hugged his dad.

Do you mind if I nitpick?

(Man! Being called out on everything is getting tiring, however; if you don't get annoyed with my defenses, then I won't get annoyed with your nitpicks)

You reversed the semicolon and comma, ;p :p

2. Atari

Atari Active Member

I read in a book, a HUGE book -- it was a reference dictionary, I think, but may have been something different -- that when you use 'however,' you write it like this:

"I drove home, however; I was unhappy with the decision."

I may have to look at it again, but I am CERTAIN that is correct usage.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

however is no different than although, or nevertheless. He was a bastard; although, he was nice sometimes. I doubt any book makes some exception for however. Semicolon always comes first.

I am willing to stand corrected when something like a writing manual says so.

4. Atari

Atari Active Member

Yeah, I don't remember, and Googling it only garners the same as you have said.

For now, I will do as you say, but when I find that book, I will be certain. (I trust tangible literary works, on paper, more than anything from the internet)