1. ObsidianVale

ObsidianVale New Member

How do you work with stuff you don't have?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ObsidianVale, Feb 1, 2010.

hi there!

so i was just wondering. how do you write a character who has a personality triaight that you don't have. Let me clearify. Lets say i write a character who's always has these smart combacks or he's some charming noble. Personally I am in no way that kind of person, i've never been the class clown and i certainly have no idea how to be charming.i have absolutely no experience in it. and when i do try to come up with something funny or try to say something charming it just ends up falling flat and sounds lame.

so i was wondering what people did when they found themselves in that situation.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You observe others who do have that trait. As a writer, you have a distinct advantage - you can take your time, even though the character has to respond in the blink of an eye.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's where the talent to be a writer comes into play... if you have it, you'll be able to pick up anything you need by experience, observation, and/or research...

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I agree. In addition, many aspiring writers don't have the work ethic that successful writers do. Observation and research require effort as well as talent.

5. Norm

Norm New Member

Like others have said, go out and observe. If you see someone with the trait you want to attach to your character, write it down and then adapt the situation to your story to make your character act in a similar way to what you observed. If you are having issues finding examples out in the worlds, you can always draw inspiration from the millions of characters already invented on TV, other books, people posting on forums, etc.