1. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

how does everybody live. hard to explain.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by heyharris1, Oct 11, 2007.

just curious, whats the area like that everybody live's in, since i see alot of people from other countries. For instance, i live in vancouver washington, across the river from portland oregon. its a big city, to many people. all in all not bad though. i see the people like from Australia. i picture that as get up in the morning, leave the house out in the woods. like crocadille dundee. pet the alligator, hope on one of those boats with the big fan on the back, and then go to work farming snakes or something. just an exaple of couse.
    thank you
    jim

2. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

I live in the UK, in a village near Hertford, in a little 800 square foot cottage built around 1850. There's a building at the bottom of my road that dates back to around 1200 AD; and this place has been settled and civilised for something in excess of two thousand years. It's small, picturesque and ludicrously expensive--my cottage would cost the equivalent of around six hundred and fifty thousand US dollars on the open market.

There's a pill-box in a field at the top of my road, dating back to the second world war. (A pill-box is a concrete defensive fortification.) Much of this area was heavily bombed in those days, and you can see places where the ancient buildings were partly reconstructed in new brick. My son plays in a bomb-crater in the woods nearby.

I'm a former businessman. Through careful investment and a certain amount of luck, I made a fairly comfortable amount of money while I was still in my twenties, so nowadays I can afford to do a reasonably easy job working for local government. The salary's less than thrilling, but in the evenings and weekends (and a lot of the time while I'm theoretically "working") I can browse the net and/or write.

I'm 36, happily married to a lady I met when I was 19, and I have one son, who's 13.

I work about ten minutes' walk from my house. Usually I get up around the crack of, oh, eight thirty, shower and shave, then take a leisurely stroll along the river bank to the office, which is a former fire station in the centre of the village, where I do work with young people who're in trouble or on the edge of offending behaviour. My client group is the age range 8 to 16, but there are sometimes young people as old as 18 hanging around nearby.

I've been writing all my life, but I published my first piece of writing a few years ago (started it when I was 33, finished and sold it at 34). Since then I've been fortunate enough to have various other pieces published--about 250,000 words in total--but it's all non-fiction.

What I'd love to do now is publish a novel. Unfortunately I seem to be too lazy to write it very fast.

3. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

so when you say village. in the U.S. would a village be like a small town then or like only 200 people. its obvioulsy up to date and has internet access and the such, electricty. so its not really rural, like have to go to the river with a bucket then to get water. defently intrestion just seeing how life is like in other parts of the world. when i was in africa, i seen some of the most amazing things.
    jim

4. Weaselword

Weaselword Banned

Heh. The UK has 60 million people and more than twice the GDP of any US state--but it's all crammed into a set of islands less than 800 miles long. There is literally nowhere in Britain without internet access, electricity, or running water. :)

5. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

really thats cool. i was'nt bad mouthin it. its just the term village you dont here much in the U.S.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

hafa adai! [sounds like 'half a day' and is chamorro for 'hi!']

i live on a tiny island in the middle of the farthest reaches of the northern pacific... 1,200 miles and more from anywhere significant [philippines/japan/australia]... it's only 4x10 miles in size and has significantly fewer than 3,000 inhabitants...

much of what you take for granted where you live is not available here, so it requires a serious adjustment in lifestyle, but it's worth it to me, as it's peaceful and quiet and safe... and the people are friendly and basically happy... if you've never heard of it, look up tinian on google and you'll find out why it's famous/infamous... the local indigenous people are chamorro and many others here are contract workers from the philippines, china, nepal, bangladesh... as a haole, i'm one of the almost non-existent smallest minority...

love and hugs, maia

7. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

went and looked at some pictures. the place is very nice looking. i read all about it, i didnt know we invaded it during ww2. kinda a unigue history. says its known for its cattle.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I am from Canada. British Columbia. On vancouver Island. West coast. Right by the ocean, by a farm, by mountains rivers and lakes and a zillion trees. At the beginning of summer I was in Portland Oregon to buy a boat. It was a interesting place. A bit similar to B.C. but it is a lot cleaner here....not to say that portland is dirty....just not as clean as the valley I live in. I am not sure how many people live on the island...but it seems to be getting more and more crowded everyday :(
    Cheers to beautiful places!

9. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

do you gotta take a ferry ride to get onto the island, or is there a bridge, i know some places by peuget sound, you gotta take a ferry ride to get to the islands?
    jim

10. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Hmm.. well..

I live in a townhouse about 1 1/2 hours from Toronto Ontario. It's pretty civil. Lots of bus routes around here, the grocery store is about a half hour walk from here, as well as Canadian Tire and a Pharmacy. Plus a couple other random stores. There's about 190,000 people living in my region (at least, that's what I figure anyway).

Lots of interesting people...

I work at an office doing mostly data entry and I teach piano whenever I can.

I live with my parents, a sister and a dog. I'm a quiet person and I hate loud places, so I'm usually at home if I'm not working.

I'm turning 18 in a few months and I have yet to accomplish something of value. Fun, isn't it? :p

11. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I live in Colorado Springs, with the moutains quite literally in my backyard. The view and the air are amazing, but the town itself...pretty boring. If you don't like the outdoors, or having at least five churches in a black, then this isn't the town for you.

Seriously about the churches. I can name seven within two miles of my house, and I live in the "country." We're the home of Ted Haggard and Focus on the Family and Dobson, and...anything evangelical ever.

But aside from the rampant Christianity, it's not a bad town. Not much goes on around here, but it's very beautiful, and only an hour from Denver (where there is, miraculously, life).

I've lived in eight different places all over the country plus a brief stint in Germany, and I must say, I love moving, and consider that my life much more than the specific place I'm in at the time. I'd love to live overseas again, and am definitely moving back to NYC for college.

12. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

you have accomplished something, you can play a piano, i cant carry a tune in a bucket. so if your good enough to teach, then you must be good, and you probably about to graduate, or have already. thats a big accomplishment.
    jim

13. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Hah thanks Harris. Just feels like I've been stuck in this one day that will not end, no matter what.
    Ah well. I have what, 50 years left to change? : )

14. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

you'll find something you like, we all do
    jim

15. Frost

Frost Active Member

I live in a town that is quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Well no. Anwyay, it's got about 30,000 inhabitants, is despertely hot in summer and freezing cold in winter, rarely rains, and holds a boat race that has been cancelled due to the river flowing. Have you guessed where I live yet?

It's in Australia.

But my other home is the city of Adelaide in South Australia, where I board at school. Ten mins walk from a beach/shops. Half an hour tram ride to the city centre. Great life.

16. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

nope sorry, dont know. that kinda bites, hot as hell then cold as snow. the only thing i know about Australia is Sydney, thats a big city right. are the beaches nice down there?

17. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I live in a small country town in the South West of Australia. Our population is around 10,000 give or take a few. Not too sure.
    We are the central business distract for most of the country towns around the area. We don't have crocodiles and the ocean is a two hour drive away roughly.
    Also we don't all eat kangaroo and I don't know anyone that is like Croc Dundee. I live in smurf house. It is blue and it looks like a smurf I think ^ ^
    The town I live has four seasons in day lol it can't make up its mind whether it wants to be hot, cold or otherwise. It doesn't snow, and it has green grass everywhere.
    We are four hours away from the capital city. We have a lot of bush around the area, but we don't wake up and walk out into in the morning unless it is in our jobs description. Farming is a big thing around the south west.
    We farm cows, sheep, etc. not snakes. Although it would be fun in my opinion.

Hope that helps you to understand a little more about Australia.

Also we don't all look like surfies. There is a surfy town not far from where I live though called Margret River. I have only been there once, just this weekend. It isn't like you'd think though. But it is the top surfing spot in WA and a lot of surfers live there so I am told. I don't really know myself though.

18. Frost

Frost Active Member

I live in Alice Springs mate. You ought to google us :p Murder capital of Australia.

Sydney has really nice beaches, yes.

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I live in a small village, about 15-20 miles from the nearest big town (Reading), and 10 miles from the nearest small town (Henley-on-Thames). It's a nice enough place, but oh my God, the snobbiness!

20. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

I live with my parents and sister in Guwahati, a rapidly growing city in Assam in North East India. Assam is full of forests, hills,sweet water lakes, mountains, rivers and wildlife. Our State symbol is the protected One horned Rhino. Elephants and small wild cats are also very common.Tea Estates, Sericulture, agriculture, oil fields and tourism are the major contributers to the economy.Floating restaurants, river islands, ancient temples, adventure sports etc are some of the things that attract tourists.

It rains here A LOT! There are flash floods when this happens because the HUGE Brahmaputra river flows through the middle of the city and it overflows in monsoon and recent construction work on the roads has blocked the drains. My sis had to wade through waist deep water on her way back from school yesterday as it had been raining non stop for days.

Life here is pretty much the same as in cities. We are usually laid back except when it comes to studies.Academics is very important. So much so that state rank holders in the 10th Grade Mariculation Exams and 12th grade Higher Secondary exams are treated like celebrities :p Last year the government gave computers to all 10th Board students who scored above 80%, and not just cheap ones, but real good comps, or they could choose to take the money instead.For the past few years girls have been outnumbering boys in the rank list and so this has led to envious looks from others if you happen to have a daughter:D Most students here also learn music, dance, some sport or art along with their studies. Most of us here know three languages, Assamese, Hindi and English and there are many who know Bengali too.

Right now the city is gearing up for Durga Puja beginning from the 16th. It is an annual festival of Goddess Durga and since Bengal and Assam have Goddess centric cultures, this is like what Christmas is to Westerners.It lasts for a week and there will be competitions for the most innovative and gorgeous idol displays of the Goddess killing the demon. General theme is triumph of good over evil and ther'll e a lot of bright lights hung all over the city. Though it is Hindu festival, in Assam many Muslims and Christians join in the fun as well. We buy new clothes, gift clothes to relatives, children walk around with balloons,there are firework displays,fairs,special sweets, people from all over the north east come to see Puja in Guwahati and traffic is held up with sheer joy :p I think the traffic police are the only ones who might not enjoy this as much as the rest of us.

Then there'll be Travelling Theatres season soon. Since Guwahati has existed since 6th century AD there are a lot of things to see here; you can look it up in google or Wikipedia.

Just realised I wrote a LOT!:p

21. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Same as Torana. Life is what she said except you get the no worries mate, G'day every now and then and the odd swearword. I think there was only one person that I know in my life that has said dinkum. Heh.

22. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Ya you have to take a ferry to get to the island. Takes about an hour and a half on the ferry.

23. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I live In Florida, on a little peninsula called Pinellas County. It's pretty touristy. I wouldn't trade it for anything, though. I absolutely love being able to look outside my window and see the water.

24. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

heyharris...
    no cattle here to speak of, just a few raised for local meat consumption... what it's known for is that it's where the atom bombs were loaded onto enola gay and her sister b-29 before being dropped on hiroshima and nagasaki... i'm surprised you didn't see that wherever it is you found info on the island...

fresh... i lived in st. pete for a while in my teens... loved it!

25. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I live about 60 km from Inner City Perth, about a 60 second drive from the ocean, lol. It's lovely here, I really like being near the ocean and the beach. I'm located in a cluster of townhouses which are surrounded by all your needed essentials; I'm literally across the road from the main shopping centre and bus station, I'm down the road from the main train station, there are three ovals behind and in front of where I live and I'm about 10 minutes walk from the 'big park', which has two playgrounds and a pond- ducks they're cool- most importantly my school is within a one kilometre vicinity of me, which is cool because this way I can simply walk to school without having to beg my Mum for a ride.

Yeah it's all pretty sweet. : D