1. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

How does this sound?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by LionofPerth, Aug 20, 2007.

For Balance, the main male lead character is called the Lion. He has assembled a group of fighters/hunters and they are called the Pride.

I was thinking about what to call the sub groups, so far the idea if Paw Group is the only one I have. What do you guys think?

For the various groups so far these seem to be the naming conventions.

Primus- Command group.
    Secondus and so forth- group of mages, basically, for the combat teams to use for fire support.
    Pilum- distraction and removal of armour, like what a pilum does.

All other teams use the military alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Easy, Foxtrot, Gamma, Helo, whatever I is, whatever J is, Kilo, Lima, Master etc)

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu

Or, at least, that's the NATO one.

Where exactly is the world set? does any culture on our Earth directly affect theirs? I kind of like the Lion/Pride thing, but the rest seems to lose that. Paw group just doesn't seem as strong a name to me.

3. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I totally agree with Adamant.

I used those when I was in the Millitary.

4. Raven

Raven Banned

adamant has pretty much covered it in full

5. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

well, I wanted the feel of the Pride to be more of a family, so I think it doesn't need to be strong, more understated than anything else.

World is a modern one, just with devils, fiends, imps, vampires, demons and angels. Pretty much what happened in our history happened in theirs. Alternate earth really, I think.

6. adamant

Head - Lion
    Elite Soldiers - Mane
    Other Teams - The Pride (uses NATO alphabet)

I think that could work, with Mane being a symbol of him being the king of his territory due to the strong allusion.

7. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

True, but I was hoping for less of an almost military connotation with the group. With the 'Paws' you get a sense that all teams are equal, worth as much as the other, but with a more military system it produces as a product of that type of system a fundamentally discrimatory nature, which is not what he would want. I had hoped I could portray it as a family of hunters or fighters, rather than a set paramilitary formation like a supernatural IRA.

He has no territory per say, as he has limited royal patronage(knighted in secret), he can travel the world freely, so he's often following the biggest, baddest hellspawn he can find out about and going off to kill it. If anything, he is a wanderer.

Mane as well ounds like some type of flag or standard, again, not quite the feel I wanted for the group.

8. adamant

Well, if that's what you want, you should just make everyone part of the Pride. No ranks, no differing ensignias, just a 'family'. To me, "Paws" seems like you're saying they're at the bottom -- doing all of the work so everyone else can move forward in the world.

For the other denominations, just make it something like "Mages of the Pride". That would only specify their area of expertise, and thusly, would not necessarily dejectify other members.

9. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Blue collar workers/people do make the world go round. I see no negative connotation with that. Where would we be without the brickies, sparkies, plasterors and tilers? Or the garbos and labourers? Let's not forget the truckies and pilots as well.

If anything, in a large organisation or body there has to be clear cut groups to prevent overlaps in work, basically less unecessary duplication. I need to name them something.

10. adamant

...but you just said you wanted them to be all equal - part of a family unit. Having a bureaucratic system isn't all that different from a military unit - so I don't see what your problem was with that. Also, what I was saying was that with Paws, it made it seem like they were doing all the work while everyone else got the benefits. I didn't say the world doesn't need those occupations, just that Paws made it seem like a structure that only looked out for the big guys, the leaders.

Why did you even have different team names in the first place? Primus, secondus... seems to be separating them by importance.

I think it'd be best to have everyone part of the pride, and mark them by their area of expertise, as well as a ranking given by Lion. You could use the rankings from churches: vicar, dean, archdeacon, bishop, archbishop, primate -- or some variation.

It's hard to say because I don't know what part of the world is in, or really, what it deals with most. You could also use the hierarchy of a kingdom... which I can't seem to find.

11. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Oh please, Barons, Dukes, Lords, Princes and so forth? I doubt it.

In a way they let everyone else go ahead with their lives, stopping the evil in the world from killing them.

I need a way to divide the teams up, a team is a team, sub unit or whatever, they are a family, and each family has its own groups with in right?

12. adamant

Then choose the strongest and have the team be in his last name? For example: '(The Sons of) Hemingway' as a team name. Everyone outside of that group could refer to them as cousins, while those within refer to each other as brothers -- and maybe the leader as father or older brother.

13. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

A possibility, although thatn type of naming system reminds me to much of WarHammer 40,000.

Not exactly what I want people to think.