How important is the “three act structure”?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mashers, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much about sticking to such a structural 'requirement' if you're writing a novel. Just tell the story in a way that keeps moving forward and reaches a conclusion. Basically you have the start, where you introduce your characters along with their problems, then your characters spend time grappling with their problems, then we see how the problems get resolved—which may either be for better or for worse. I can't think of too many stories that don't follow that pattern. It's kind of 'natural' storytelling, isn't it?

However, it's not a rule that can't be creatively broken, if done skillfully and with purpose. For example, you could start with the problem's resolution (even as a Prologue), then take us back through the process—either in chronological order or not—which might lead to eye-popping revelations at the end of the story about the characters' early lives, or something like that.

Whatever works.

lola.j.v.garratt and Trish like this.
  2. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

@mashers, you are almost exactly matching my own story! It can work, and it did very nicely for me. When I was done, I had to select a protagonist, and the protagonist had very little time on stage in his own POV. But it was his key decisions that moved the story along its critical branches.

3. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Heh, that does sound exactly like mine structurally :) Glad it worked out for you. Here's hoping it does for me too! :D

4. Damien Loveshaft

Damien Loveshaft Active Member

I say some kind of structure is important, but three act isn't the only for of structure.

5. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

It is indeed more complex. Not impossible, but complex. My advice stems from this 1 problem. If you can't write a successful story that deals with 1 character accomplishing their goal, how will you ever hope to write a story with say 6 characters, each with major different goals, that at the same time moves a much larger, grander story forward as well?

jannert likes this.
  6. 33percent

33percent Active Member

I try to keep it simple, compare the 3 act structure to your life. What problems do you have? end goal you desire? what obstacles stand in your way of completing those goals like having a job/adult responsibility gets in the way of your finishing your book. I've been using 3 act structure for my book and it is more organized to the end goal. Watch a few movies, jot down the 3 act structure.

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't really see the connection between the questions you're asking and the three act structure - can you elaborate?

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

...if you plan to write a movie.

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I still don't know what the three act structure is and I've finished three novels which people seem to enjoy on the whole... so I'm going to say it's not very important.

izzybot likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think the answer to that comes with focusing less on the technical aspects of constructing the story, and focusing instead on the individual characters you're creating.

Each time a character comes into your story, ask yourself first ...what is this character's personality? Once they come to life inside your mind, then the rest is easy. What does this character have that he or she values? What does this character lack that he or she wants? Once you answer those questions, you can keep the answers in mind as you build your story. You might be able to work and or all of these subplots into your story. Do this for all your major characters, and even your minor ones. You never know what the intersections might give you to work on.

11. BayView

Yeah, I think the 3-act structure is one of those times we really have to look at the differences between novels and movies. The whole "you need a chapter to establish your character's ordinary life" thing comes from movies/3-act structure, I think, and I really don't think it works nearly as well in a novel. In a movie? Sure, I'm happy to watch a gloriously good-looking actor perform some mundane chores while music plays and the opening credits flash on the screen. Movies don't allow us to insert character thoughts throughout nearly as effectively as novels do, so maybe I need to actually see the normal life. Maybe.

But in a novel? There are novels that have slow openings that work, sure. But to think of it as a standard structure, as if it's the way every novel should open? Yikes.

12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

As far as I know it goes beginning-middle-end. In that order I think. Seems fairly intuitive. I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about either.

13. Tenderiser

My new one starts with the end with the beginning in the middle and ends with the centre... would you not advise this?!

14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, it worked with Memento... I think. I say go for it, kid!

Tenderiser likes this.
  15. 33percent

33percent Active Member

Stories and characters have problems, we also have flaws as well but also we have goals and obstacles in our lives. I'm sure you can go look back at a moment in your life that you had a major problem, it got serious forced you at hand to do something about it and can form a 3 act structure. Here is example in my life what I'm experiencing today, I can easily form a 3 act structure.

Act 1: I get out of the army because of injury, mother passes away, dealing with financial issues, mother's estate and finds other means to pay bills and get ahead. Find out insurance company can cover biohazard clean up.

Act 2: I go to college to pay the bills with BAH(GIbill), forced to sue the Insurance Company because they only pay demo but not for reconstruction. Financial woes are worsening and trying to pay down debt. Dealing with family issues after my mom passes away. Finding other alternative ways to make money like wholesaling real estate. Cleaning and fixing the house is tiresome to prep for move in and rent out.

Act 3: How will my situation end? Will I lose my battle with insurance company and have a gutted house? Will I succeed at wholesaling real estate and get extra money flow? Will I ever finish my book and get it published? Now I'm contemplating what to do in life and where to go. I don't want to be trapped in my home town forever, where friends don't change. I can listen to my family just selling my house I grew up in all my life but that's the easy way out. My mother taught me no matter hard it gets, never quit.

or more simple version.

Act 1: I get out of army, mom dies and find out insurance company will cover bio clean up.

Act 2: Insurance company refuses to pay reconstruction, forced to sue and trying other means of means to make money.

Act 3: Will I succeed or fail on suing the insurance company and find an alternative cash flow to solve my financial woes?

The three act structure is very simple. Make it so simple, write each act no more than a sentence.

It's not a story if doesn't involve problems. What is the Problem? how to fix that problem and does that result end up in success or failure?

Books are turned into movies all the time. Movies and Books are no different because it is a story involved.

16. BayView

So you're following the definition of "three act structure" that consists of "stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end". You're not getting into the pinch points or whatever the hell else the film people talk about?

Of course they're different. Books are turned into movies, but the adaptation is such a significant part of the process that people can actually receive Oscars for their efforts. If books and movies had identical rules/structures/demands, the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar would be for... typing?

Shadowfax and Homer Potvin like this.
  17. 33percent

33percent Active Member

The point is the concept of beginning, middle and end is a guide; a tool however you write it that fits your style. It is not a mathematical calculation you have to follow set stone. You're over complicating it. It is more of a strategy to organize your story, if it doesn't fit your method of organization use a different one. I like keeping it simple as a ten year old can understand.

Yes, books are turned into movies but the foundation principal is still the same it is a story. Regardless how you look at it, it revolves around the structure of that story. Only difference the book was converted into a script to meet the demands of making a movie.

18. Tenderiser

Many of us think it's the "three act structure" that overcomplicates it, rather than the people who think of it as a story with a beginning, middle, and end...

19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My brain hurts.

A story can't help but have a beginning and an end. Then there's stuff in between. Surely the term "three act structure" must refer to something fancier than that.

Shadowfax and BayView like this.
  20. Tenderiser

It does.

21. The Arcane

The Arcane Member

It's not.