How long does it take you?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Nervous1st, Mar 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theheresy

theheresy New Member

I average about 1-1500 words per day, at which I spend 2-4 hours.

Michael Chabon claims he writes from 9am to 3pm each day and writes 10,000 words a day. LOL! That's a full novel every 4 days. I don't believe that b.s.

2. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i type fairly fast and write about the same, its the editing after that i have to learn to slow down on, but usually a story comes out as fast as i can type it.

3. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    It depends what I'm writing as to how long it takes me. When I was writing my last two (well, only two) novels I was fairly consistently reaching a thousand words an hour, but even when I had all day free never managed any more than 2-3 hours of writing a day. When I'm writing a short story I tend to go slower, although in one or two cases I've been inspired enough to finish the first draft faster than normal. But then, when I'm trying to write any sort of comedic work I'm lucky to finish 500 words in an hour.

(This is all BEFORE editing, obviously, but after fairly detailed planning. You might find time required to plan or edit is going to vary as much, and possible in relation too, how long it takes other people to churn out their first draft.)

And the last poem I wrote might have worked out at ... 100 words an hour? LOL.

4. shanemitchell1

shanemitchell1 New Member

I was just a little curious, is 5,000 words for a chapter long? How long would 5,000 words be, just in a rough estimate comparing pages in a book? Because right now I have 4,200 words for my first chapter and though that it was going to be a long one, but Crimsonrose quoted that 5,000 was short for a chapter. I hope its short because I want to add more.

5. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

A 40,000 word novel?

6. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

5000 words is roughly 12 pages.

Since joining this forum, I've been getting in about 600 words each night over one or two hours. Today, my new record might be closer to 1000 words. Once the creative juices flow, it's much easier. I'm getting held back by thinking about what I'm saying, what to write next. All part of the learning experience, I suppose.

Oddly, enough it is much easier for me to make length forum posts than it is for me to write a story.

My contest entry is currently sitting at 1900 words though I'm starting to get worried that I might not be able to meet the deadline.

7. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I have a job and I go to school. However, I work third shift and go to college online :-D

So finding a few hours during the day to write that much isn't too difficult :)

8. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

You sound a lot like me. Online classes plus working nights = a surprising amount of time to get stuff done. I'd guess that about 80% of my forum posts including this one are done from work, as is about 80% of my writing.

A good night for me doesn't match that of a lot of people here though, but I only truly decided that I wanted to write creatively about six months ago. Hopefully, I'll get better and faster with experience. On average I get about 2000 words a night plus editing if I'm not distracted.

9. Manutebecker

Manutebecker New Member

Oh wow. This has a massive range for me. I can do 1000 words an hour or 100 words an hour. Those 100 word hours are usually filled with rage and me slamming my keyboard. I usually just walk around if I got writers block, taking the dog for a little trip will get my mind jogging more than staring at a flickering screen. When I get those 1000+ word hours it's like being touched by God, I had that moment tonight. I wrote some pretty quality stuff, 4000 words in about 3-4 hours. Feels absolutely amazing. I finished the chapter and I'm completely burnt out for the moment. I'm gonna hit the grind here in an hour or so. Got my energy drinks flowing through me and a couple on standby just in case :)

10. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Isn't it great how working nights leaves you like an awesome amount of daylight :p

11. keeklies

keeklies New Member

When I write, I write like a maniac - often 10k per day. But it's exhausting after a while and I can't do it every day. So it evens out in the end.

12. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

After a week of nothing, I just popped out 2,000 words in 45 minutes. Granted, they'll need to be revised later, but still, it's something

13. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

I just got 500 words out in 20 minutes. I would write more, except I have to go pay some tuition today. I have Dinner at my mother-in-laws later... again :(

I want to write.

14. Moira

Moira New Member

I wish I knew how long it takes me to write or how many words I write a minute. That would be cool to know. :eek:P

15. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

You can find that out in Microsoft Word. I highlight whatever I've written in a given time and it tells me the number of words at the bottom left.

16. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

For me, it varies a lot. When I was writing up information for my world one weekend, I managed around 4,000 words in 2 days, which was over a period of around 3 hours. However, I often don't write anything for a week or so at a time, though I try my hardest to write as often as possible.