1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Short Story How many people are you inviting to the party?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by deadrats, Dec 19, 2020.

I was hoping to talk to you other short story writers about how populated your short stories are? How many characters can you cram in there or do you limit the number of characters in your story? Of course, both can be done quite well so I guess it comes down to how many characters does it take to tell your story. But we're short story writers so that gives us the chance to try and write anything from a single-character story to a cast of a dozen+. What have you tried and what's worked for you?

I tend to have a lot of characters in my short stories. The more people are around the more likely interesting things are to happen. I never plan out my short stories, but for some reason I do gravitate toward having more characters. Not always. But most of the stories I write involve a lot of people.

I don't think either way is wrong. I also don't think there's anything wrong with the way I'm approaching it. But I just was wondering how many character you typically like to work with and why you think that works for you. Out of the short stories I've sold, it's been a mix from a small to a large number characters in those stories. So, this is something I play around with a lot, and both have worked. Still, I'm always pulled toward creating a well populated story. What do you guys like to write in terms of how many characters are playing active roles in you short stories?

Xoic likes this.
  2. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

At least one, most of the time.

marshipan, deadrats and Xoic like this.
  3. TheEndOfMrsY

TheEndOfMrsY Active Member

I personally feel like it depends on what genre and feel you're trying to create.
    For me, I write a lot of horror or/and psychological stories,(well attempt to) and so I always feel less characters give me the opportunity to work on the feelings I'm trying to create.
    If I were reading a fantasy story for example, I would expect more characters. Fantasy tends to have a lot happen in them so, as you said, it gives the opportunity for more things to happen.
    I don't think I've read anything well thought out that I've thought doesn't have enough or too many characters. If the writer has captured what they are trying to do, the number of characters reflects this.

On the other hand, there is limitations in a short story. If there is a 10,000 work count and 10 important characters, I think it would be easy to miss what is trying to be created. I think as long as the characters in the story help move it along, I don't think there is a wrong answer for this.

4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I think I'm much better at description than I am at dialogue, so I tend to keep characters, and their incessant talking, to a minimum.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think length plays a factor. For something in the 5k+ range 1-3 characters
    are manageable enough...
    Though I like longer shorts 10-30k+ range and can be up to perhaps up to
    a dozen (Mind you that there are only 1-2 MCs).
    Typically most of the cast are secondary or tertiary to not bog down the
    main plot the longer the story is (or shorter), due to not having the time
    to establish more than one good solid MC worth being fleshed out enough
    for them to be likeable. Kinda like too many cooks in the kitchen, where things
    just get muddled and hectic. :)

deadrats, Xoic and ThunderAngel like this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I tend toward few characters. I'm the kind of writer who, if I did a battle scene for instance, I'd probably have 2 or 3 characters in a foxhole and the main action happening outside, showing everything through their reactions and mostly their internal states.

deadrats likes this.
  7. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

My short stories are usually first-person memoirs with a Gothic horror theme. I may write a large group of people in them, but they're usually not secondary characters, mainly just background characters. I tend to focus on the one telling the story, and maybe one to a few other secondary characters, but that's about it for me.

8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

My last published story has a lot of main characters (6 to 8) that pretty much all share equal roles. It's third omniscient. My next story slated to come out has three main characters and is written in first person. See, I'm sort of all over the place. I'm not complaining because I do sell my stories. The one published before that has about six main characters and is written in first person. I tend to feel a need to have a lot of players in the game, but my new story with three characters shows that's not always the case. Lately, I tend to write in the 4k to 7k range for the most part. Do you guys ever experiment and try for fewer of less characters than usual? Or do you just let things happen? It can be fun to play around with. And I'm not really talking about secondary characters or walk on roles, but it's probably fine to count those too if you want.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Xoic

I wrote a novel a few years back (first draft only) that has about 7 or 8 main characters and a big cast of secondaries. It was difficult keeping track of so many—conversations become a problem (attribution especially), and I found I kept forgetting to keep some of them 'alive', even though they were all traveling together (think the Fellowship of the Ring). But this was a huge departure for me. I usually write shorts (or just never finish stories) with a small cast.

deadrats likes this.
  10. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

The one I recently had published ad 4 characters.... a mom, dad, and 2 children. the 2 children were the focus, though. The parents showed up in the beginning and in the end.

I think that the most I've put into my shorts.

ThunderAngel, Cave Troll and deadrats like this.
  11. Xoic

If you can put 4 people in your shorts, they must be very small people... :D

12. J.T. Woody

Lilliputian party in my shorts :p

13. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

False. Big shorts.

14. J.T. Woody

-clutches pearls- never talk about a lady's weight! :bigeek:

( :D )

15. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor