How many POVs do you really need?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by deadrats, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

The only time I've ever written in multiple POVs is in my WIP where a child is pretty much "trapped in his mind" and has gone into a catatonic state, needing to be hospitalized. I write mostly from his perspective, but sometimes venture out of his mind to see how his parents are holding up, and how the different stages of his mental entrapment have changed him physically on the outside (No, he's not transforming, just how certain things that happen in his brain affect his physical condition).

I've very rarely ever found the need to write in multiple perspectives, mainly because I feel that can tend to create a disjoined and confusing story. I've seen it done well, of course, so I'm not saying I'm against it. I just feel as though it's a very difficult thing to do and shouldn't be anyone's go-to by far.

deadrats likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is me too, but I my holotype series are The Expanse books by James S. A. Corey. Same structure.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd imagine that utilizing dramatic irony would be difficult with only a single POV character. Misdirection (not counting the unreliable narrator trick) would seem to be tougher too, though certainly not impossible. Also playing characters at cross purposes.

Just for shits and grins I'm looking over my bookshelves next to me to see which novels have single POVs that are not in first person. There aren't many. Vonnegut? Might be a couple in there (like Slaughter House Five and maybe Sirens? can't remember). Maybe a bit of the Hemingway, too. For whom the Bell Tolls is mostly in a single POV but it does veer off into the Lieutenant at the very end... to amazing effect, I might add. A Farewell to Arms? Checking... nope, first person. I think the best I can come up with is Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko/Gorky Park books, which are detective novels, which ten to be first person, but not here. Toward the end he started doing multiple POVs I believe, too. Maybe it's a style thing. Not sure.

Shenanigator and deadrats like this.
  4. CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX Member

I love reading books with multiple characters. It expands the story world and makes it more interesting for me. WOT is a good example of multiple characters and plots.

Do what you love, I guess. Melanie Rawn also does this well. It depends on how you want to tell your tale I guess. From one POV or a few but keep a limit or it can be quite the hop. You have to remember the character you are writing from, his or her perceptions etc. That is the tricky part.

GOT did it well in limiting it to a chapter for each character. Melanie Rawn kind of mixes it up in each chapter.

It really comes down to personal taste.

5. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

As many as it takes! Ideally centered around several key characters.

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX likes this.
  6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I am trying to keep my story mostly in my MC POV. However, my antagonist is very sneaky and in order for the reader to fully understand what is happening to my MC and why, I occasionally have to dip into someone else's head. For example, the nameless servant girl the sneaky antagonist employs to spy on my MC. The manservant who reports my MC's movement to enable the antagonist to set up an ambush. That kind of thing. Usually very very minor characters, and just one chapter here and there to show my antagonist's movements and actions.
    The other time I use alternate POV's is for when authority figures in my MC's life are talking about events that are extremely relevant to the plot, but my MC would simply not know, bc she is not privy to the info. For example, my MC is a trainee at an army-type camp. The tides of war are rising and changing, and I have a scene where a sergeant and lieutenant are talking about what is going on in the world. It's not something that would make sense for a couple of trainees to be discussing, since it is info that was only reported to the rank at the time. But it is crucial to the final battle that the story is leading up to.
    So I delve into other's heads every once in a while when it is pretty much unavoidable. But I ALWAYS separate different POVs with different chapters.

Nariac likes this.
  7. writingistelepathy

writingistelepathy Member

I feel that a multiple POV story is harder to write but can offer more rewards in terms of opening up the wider narrative and offering good twists in the narrative by looking at the other views.

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX and Nariac like this.