How much can you change fantasy-creatures and get away with it?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by WriterDude, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

How are they not? They are direct descendants of those 200 million years ago, ergo dinosaurs. If there had not been a rock colliding with Earth and they would have survived that would mean they would still be dinosaurs, or are you saying the reason they are not is because humans exist because of that rock, how would that not make them dinosaurs? My last comment on these big reptiles...

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Dinosaurs were a particular type of reptile. Not all reptiles in the Cretaceous period were dinosaurs, and the ancestors of the Crocodilia were not. They were still Crocodilia, a totally different order from Dinosauria. Dinosaurs and cocodilians were both Archosaurs, which might be what you meant.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Just because they are descended from other species like them from the cretaceous period does not make them one. Just like we are not cave men or monkeys.

4. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

To be more precise on dinosaurs and other early species, nobody can be certain that they were able to be classified as reptiles, mammals, or birds (yes, birds) as of now. A lot of what I've read says that dinosaurs were believed to be dominantly birdlike creatures, thus the aforementioned feathered tyrannosaur. So, yes, they could have been mammals, and of course they may have been reptiles, but in the end there is no definitive proof.

5. Jhunter

Yet another reason why I want a time machine.

6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

When I look at reality TV-shows, it makes me wonder... :D

7. Jhunter

Haha, nice. /highfive :D

8. Flipdarkfuture

Flipdarkfuture New Member

Aren't Wyverns a sub-species of Dragon that has no wings? Or is that Wyrms I'm thinking of?

In any case there are actually many different interpeprations of Dragons across many different cultures.

In Asia, general they are seen as wingless with many legs and a long tubular body. And usually have the role of a angel.

And of course in Western Culture they run the gamut from old and wise to ones that just sow destruction.

So yeah a Dragon can be interpretated many ways.