How much do you write in one go?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by labelab, Sep 25, 2020.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

am i right in thinking that you're a full time writer ? (i'm doing this on top of a day job so weekends tend to be my most productive time)

2. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Member

I can only write in 26-hour blocks from 6:00 p.m Friday night to 8:00 p.m. Saturday night. During that time I don't eat, drink only water and coffee, barely go to the bathroom and don't sleep. At the end, I'm a wreck, but I've written somewhere between 13,000 - 17,000 words.

3. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Nope. Full time job here too.

4. Malum

Malum La mort de l'auteur Supporter

Well...I rephrase/alter the content of whatever draft I'm on one or two paragraphs at a time, if i'm lucky. Maybe 200 words in an hour....sometimes the search for the perfect combination fries my brain completely.

I have the time to write full time. Perhaps not the stability in mood.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. solentador

solentador New Member

True, but then again - I can't be honest if I am not 'within' the generality I define now can I? So, I don't read too much too. I just can't. That was why I seriously go after the 'short text' option. If you can't tell it short, better not tell it at all - unless you are planning to garbage your life away founding a cult or something, that is.

And, with the 'anyways' - I don't use it always, and I am %100 sure that no one holds the monarchy over English anyway. It's so easy to go for hearts, when minds are accustomed with broken melodies and forced eating habits, thus, there are places to say things any way you like - when 'anyways' take so much hatred, it is wise to not to use so - unless I am going for a 'magnetification a la hatred' <-

Now I have the hearts, the king said -
    I can rule them when they smile at me...
    And when I take so they hurt - they will see it as a punishment they deserve,
    For mistaking me as their Sun, for no excuse can save you against a right nerve.

6. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Member

17,200 words last weekend in 32 straight hours of writing.

7. Josie Grenwood

Josie Grenwood New Member

Depends on the day and my mood I suppose. If it's in the week when I'm working then (for example today I've managed 800). On a bad day that might be as little as 500-600 words.

On a good day after work the most I've done is 2500. I barely sleep these days so I'm like a little writing night owl. (Only to wake up and find what I've written is only half legible) but that's a different matter!

If I'm off and at home (every weekend now, thanks Covid.) I can do as much as 7000-8000 over a period of 9-10 hours.

Depends how inspired I am too! I find its hard to muster energy at the moment. Having said that I've completed two novels since January and I'm onto a third.
    (Yay me!)

8. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

I try to write as much as I can, for as long as I can, up until the point I feel like I'd really rather shoot myself in the head. That's as good a stopping point as any, I'd reckon.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  9. DriedPen

DriedPen New Member

I am always writing, but a lot of that has to do with Covid, being a teacher, and doing everything online right now.

That being said however, it is not always my best writing. Some is writing to put stuff on my Google Classroom which is boring, where as other stuff is class newsletters and more interesting writing, and then because of all the downtime, I sneak in some novel work while at work if I can. If I got a decent block of time, I might work on the novel itself, but if I am just bored and have very little time, I might work on a character trait chart, or inject a sentence or paragraph into my story that has some impact.

But on the weekends I write a lot on my novels, memoir (finished) or short stories.