1. online.education

online.education New Member

How much do you ... write?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by online.education, Jul 22, 2007.

I asked how much you read, and now, I'm curious to know how you write everyday on average. 200 words a day? 500 words a day? More?

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Not enough.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

A lot. I generally write about 1000-2000 words a day, though it can be more when I'm bored, or less when I don't have a specific problem. I have been told that I write too much.

4. online.education

That's quite a lot ...

I write less than 500 words a day on average. I haven't been writing a lot this past week though.

I spend a fair amount of time re-reading and editing what I wrote ...

5. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

there is actual and in my mind. In my mind I write a few pages a day. But actual is much less. I get very angry at myself on a daily basis for not writing more, or make mental notes to "start tomorrow again" or when I get done with whatever silly thing I am doing. I hate this cycle and want to be writing more.

6. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Not nearly enough.

If I'm "inspired" I MIGHT get 100-200 words out, unless I'm writing something personal, and not actual poetry/novel. Otherwise I'm pretty much stuck..

7. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

stuck - what does that mean. like writers block, or after 200 you are exhausted?

8. luke_mushu_2010

luke_mushu_2010 New Member

I write about 3-5 pages each night for my scripts. Except for one day, I wrote Living The Life:Episode Three in like two hours, and that explains why it's not that good, lol.

9. dushechka

dushechka New Member

Kind of both, actually. Some days I'll have SO much to say, but the thought of writing it exhausts me. Other times I'll have complete writer's block and just stare at the page.

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well I used to write up to 1500 words a day when I was writing stories a while back now. But I have been concentrating on poetry a lot for the last few years and just recently decided to put poetry on the back burner and try my hand at short story writing again. So at the moment I am averageing around 400 to 700 words a day.

11. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

well 200 words a day still equals 73,000 words a year, and that is a lot!

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as much as i need to... i'll just stay at it till i finish an essay or a poem or three... can easily hit the old benchmark of 10 pages [approx. 2,500 words] a day [and more], if called for...

working on a major project like a book or screenplay, i've worked 18-20 hrs/day for weeks, forgetting to eat, if someone didn't bring me some food or wrest me away from the computer...

i don't count pages or care how many words i turn out, just write till i'm done...

13. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

you are lucky that you can write like that without "running out of words" for the day.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my usual problem is having too many words and not enough time to put them all down... plus, i work on multiple things at a time, so if i'm at a stopping place on one, can switch over to another...

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've never measured, but I'd have to say, "not much?. I'm trying to write more, and the 2 months I've spent here has helped, but I haven't actually kept any kind of metrics. Some days I'll write quite a bit for someone who also works a full time job, other days I will think through ideas but not write anything. And how do you count revisions? I probably spend more time on revisions than on the initial splash-out.

16. judesplace

judesplace New Member

Well, I certainly do not count my words! If I'm working on a book, I write whenever I have time or when I'm inspired. Now, I'm between books, so I try to write at least once a week, but again, I don't count the words. I cannot imagine actually doing this! I write for fun and release, not for measurement! :D

17. PAwriterwannabe

PAwriterwannabe New Member

hmm, depends on the day. one thing i'm working on i started about a month ago, wrote 48 pages from 11-5 and now i'm only on page 72. so it varies.

18. online.education

Well, how many words did you write so far?