How Old Are You and What Would Be Your Ideal Job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BlackCatMagick

BlackCatMagick Member

I'm a few months shy of [legal] drinking age, and my dream job would be making theatrical-quality Halloween props for haunted houses around the country. Maybe throw in some special effects makeup art on the side. Also for haunted houses.

Becoming a bestselling author would be pretty spiffy, too.

2. rodney adams

rodney adams Member

I'm 18, and my ideal job would be being a Navy SEAL

3. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

I'm 27, always wanted to be a U.S. Marine but my bum knees had other plans. Currently I own my own business dealing in new and used plastic model kits and accessories.

4. Karnival

Karnival New Member

I'm 34 and have always wanted to work with reptiles. Maybe start some sort of Ark project to breed and prolong the existence of those most endangered by extinction.
    If not I'll settle for remaining self employed and not having to answer to anyone apart from the better half.

5. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

Squishy you're wonderful :love:. That'd be awesome.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Duplicate, board is acting weird.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I've had a long career in nursing. It enabled me to travel, (which is why I followed that path), always have a new job when I left an old one, change areas of interest time and time again without setting my career back, go back to college more than once for advanced degrees, all while being able to increase and decrease the number of hours I worked as I pleased, and in the last 20+ years, be my own boss as a successful entrepreneur.

Life is good.

8. Amin

Amin New Member

I thought I'd replied to this but can't find a post.

I'm 23 and my dream job is to be a successful author (preferably in fantasy).

9. Haliburton

Haliburton New Member

At the age of 73, I have been a lot of people and done a huge variety of jobs but my gift is writing. I self-published my 3 books with 3 more in the wings but they aren't flying off book shelves. I laughingly told someone once, "Why didn't I get the gift of being a hitman instead of an author and frankly, if I could have my dream job, that's what I would want to do.
    Haliburton

10. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

26 and writing is my living, however not necessarily the writing I want to be doing (I am a technical and freelance writer). I hope to shift gears after I finish my MA in Rhetoric and go for an MFA in creative writing and wherever that road might lead.

11. sabotai

sabotai New Member

I'm 35 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I do know that my ideal lifestyle would be one of constant travel, so being a world famous novelist would do the trick. :)

On a serious note, I have looked into being an ESL Teacher because it fits that (can move around a lot to different countries) and because I love languages. Learning languages has become a big hobby of mine over the last few years. I've also thought of going back to college (graduated with a Comp Sci degree way back in 2000) for Linguistics or for a degree in German or French. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in place for now. But at least I have a few more years to figure it out if I do decide to change careers.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm 60, and in no hurry to grow up. My ideal job is the challenging software engineering job I currently hold, at a company whose product literally saves lives (we provide timely and accurate medical information for clinical decisions).

And yes, I do plan to publish. I'm still learning, and I am making progress.

13. ECKS

ECKS New Member

18, I'd like to work at home on anything. Preferably running my own music studio and writing about the daily going ons.
    Going to school for audio engineering is my dream. I'd like to become a historian of OH graffiti and music.

14. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

i am 21 , i just got my plumbing degree :p but i dont plan to stay a plumber forever i will collect some money and enroll in a private college to study 3d design and get publish of course :D

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Im 43. I already work in my ideal job. I'm an interpreter. My life is made of words. :)

16. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I am 27 almost 28 and my ideal job would be serving in the U.S. Army

17. Momenly

Momenly New Member

I'm nineteen and I'd like to become a Psychologist.

18. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I'm 27 and working towards a career making violins.

19. Cogito

There's already far too much violins.

20. CDRW

Ha, not on your life! There's never enough violins. :p

On a more serious note, the market is in a bit of a strange place right now, but one that is much more likely to be beneficial than harmful.

With the folding of a number of orchestras in the U.S. over the last few years, it looks like classical music is dying away. However, that's not nessecarily the case. There are still a great many orchestras going strong, but more than that, string quartets and other small groups are at record highs. People still want to hear classical music and musicians still need instruments. (Not that classical is even close to the only thing you'd use a violin for, but that's a subject for a different post.)

Everybody wants an old instrument, but because musicians, museums and private collectors are all competing for a limited and reducing inventory, the prices are sky high and far outstrip the actual value of the instrument. So they buy instruments by modern makers which can be, and quite often are, as good as or better than any old Cremonese one. (And yes, I've seen enough of the old Cremonese ones in person to be able to compare.)

Then there is China.

China is taking to western classical music like a duck to cocaine. Even if the western market completely collapses (not even a remote possiblility), China on its own is creating enough new students, conservatories, and orchestras to keep the entire industry afloat. Something that is a bit worrying is the way China floods the market with cheap, factory made instruments, but it's not too worrying because I wouldn't be competing directly with them. Those instruments are for new students, and as they get better and more serious about playing, they come to realize that their instrument is a cheap POS. That's where I step in. My role in the marketplace is to provide good instruments for the people who are ready to make a serious investment in a professional quality instrument, but can't shell out more for it than what their house is worth.

21. Cogito

I prefer sax. But I won't harp on it.

22. CDRW

Dang, my drum skills are rusty. I conga come up with anything good.

23. Cogito

Well, don't that just beat all! You just need to find the right cymbalism to snare a win.

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

It's good that you guys are in tune with each other. We don't want any dischord around here.

25. TheSilverSeas

TheSilverSeas New Member

19 and currently thinking about taking a linguistics degree. I love mountains, the sea and doing crafty things. My ideal dream job would be on the stage, in musical theater :)