1. ScottM84

ScottM84 Member

How should I make the divisions in this chapter?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by ScottM84, Jul 7, 2014.

In my current WIP, my two main characters have been together most of the time until the chapter I'm currently writing. In the times that they've been apart from each other previously, I only had to deal with one or the other, so I didn't have to worry about going back and forth. In the current chapter, however, they're going to be separated for most of it, and I'll need to go back and forth. Would I be better off using a line or something like that on the page to show when I'm going from one character to the other, or just let the story itself tell the reader that?

If I didn't make myself clear enough, by all means tell me. I'm not really sure how to ask that question so that it makes sense.

2. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

I don't know if I'm doing it correctly, but I've done a similar thing in a couple of chapters and I've broken it up like this:

Main character is doing something by himself. As he does this he, eventually wraps up the content of this paragraph and moves onto the next one, which means that I will...
    Start another block of text. If, however, he does something that leads him onto something else entirely, I'll then...

Begin a new paragraph like so. Of course, there is also the...

Secondary character, who is either someplace completely different to the main character, or embroiled in a completely different set of circumstances nearby.

Basically I've just left a larger gap between the two characters to separate them. Just so the normal breaks I use elsewhere in the book aren't used in a different way.

[Edit - I did indent the paragraphs, but it didnae work!]