How should I write a convincing gay MC?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Link the Writer, Mar 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That's what I figured. I mean, like someone else said, there doesn't need to be justification for why Heridon's attracted to men. He just is.

I'm attracted to women because...well...I just am. A relationship is just a relationship between two people. Writing about romance is pretty much the same, wether it be guy/guy, woman/woman, or guy/woman.

It's just a relationship. I just need to decide what Heridon finds attractive about Jeremy and what Jeremy finds attractive about Heridon. It'd be no different if I had Matt and Sandra fall for each other. Find out what they find attractive about each other and go from there.

2. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

By Thoth, I think he's got it! ;)

3. Link the Writer

I think so too! :D

After all, a relationship is a relationship no matter who's doing it.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I just think you have the wrong bloke from your descriptions which be why you are not figuring it.

Jimmy comes across as little brother, for me John seems more likely to be gay. (could be a fun triangle) - so convince me Jimmy is gay and John is straight ?

5. Link the Writer

Why would John seem to be gay? :3 Just curious.

I don't think Heridon would want to hang out with a guy riddled with angst and stuff. Heridon'll do what he can to help, but relationship wise...I dunno. *shrugs*

Jimmy is more laid-back and easy-going, just like Heridon. He had a BF himself in highschool, but they began to ebb apart when the BF moved to another state without contacting Jimmy. As far as Jimmy is concerned, that relationship is over.

6. Elgaisma

The anger deep-seated angst. The gay men within my experience are often full of anger and angst as teens or have issues with depression, sometimes both. (not all i know it is generalisation), comes from feeling abnormal, outwith society, having to hide who they are etc

7. Link the Writer

Oh, I see...

Yeah, Heridon could be the one to help him through the anger.

You're right, it's a clever and interesting love triangle between Jimmy, Heridon, and John.

8. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Don't fall too hard into the cliche that all gay men are angst ridden or depressed, though. Not all gay men ever have this issue. I, myself, never really had this issue. My family was very supportive of difference.

Research the issue, interview a few gay men from various backgrounds. This will give you an idea of why they had angst or depression if they had any. It might also give you a good point to understand why those who don't, do not. This will allow you to create a believable gay character. His issues will be directly tied to his experiences, not his sexual identity.

Not to kick a dead horse, but again not all gay men are alike. Not all gay men participate in the community, actively seek other gay people or even have 'gay sex'. Some just do not enjoy or desire those things, and that's something to keep in mind. (Certainly, gay men generally seek out a partner, but not necessarily gay friends.)

9. Link the Writer

I agree with Frost. That's why I plan to have John be straight, and he's just angsty/depressed for some other reason.

Heridon's an individual, not a stereotype/cliche. He's no different than anyone else.

Well, I'm liking this already! :D I'm gonna go start it now.

Question: Should Heridon have known Jimmy since high school or should they first meet in college?

10. Elgaisma

I did not say all by any means - some things like the age and where the person grew up will have an impact. However I do have a wide and varied experience with gay and lesbian friends and family. (Not to mention a school year with a very high proportion and a singular ability to date man who are now happily in same sex civil partnerships). This one isn't so much a cliche as a real experience for a high proportion of them.

I also indicated that the depression, angst etc was not down to them being gay or lesbian but the external experiences. As you pointed out your family is supportive.

11. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

It really depends on the dynamic you want them to share.

If they've known each other for awhile, you can incorporate in-jokes and the like. They'll readily know each others faults and weaknesses, though there might be a few hidden ones tucked away. In my experience, old friends tend to be a bit easier because there's a pre-established relationship that people instantly understand.

If they don't know each other, however, you can really explore their friendship. Issues come up that could threaten things, simple stresses of life. You would get to write in new in-jokes from the beginning. New friends do tend to be harder to write, but in my experience, more satisfying to the writer!

12. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Oh, yes, that you did. Sorry to jump on you like that!

I wasn't saying that the gay experience of angst and drama is cliche in real life, not by a long shot. I merely meant to say that almost every gay character in stories is angsty and the like. While it's true that it's very common for homosexual men to encounter these issues, it's certainly not all of them.

In my experience, there's a very, very large 'underground' community of gay men who don't have these experiences. You'd be surprised how many of us there are. On the flip side, most of us don't run around saying how easy we had it, so we're far less noticeable. As compared to those who run around saying how hard it is, we're invisible.

13. Elgaisma

Actually i know very few who run around saying how hard it is and don't know many who frequent gay clubs etc they go occasionally. I certainly didn't know the five gay men I dated were gay at the time - I did however know what they felt like as teens. Still not sure what to make of the comment I am like dating a pretty bloke !!!

Most gay men and lesbians I know now I am in my thirties are happily married or in a relationship with someone. In the process of trying to have children or already have them. Pretty much in the same situation as myself or resolutely single and happy with that. Not much different to my straight friends (well OK I don't get many ads for pots or a womb from my straight friends on facebook lol)

EDIT: Having said that whilst i inject a little stereotype into all my characters none of my gay characters have been very angsty - I have steered away from writing it.

14. Link the Writer

Hmmm...okay. I'll write down that they've known each other since high school in Austin, Texas and they were both accepted by the University of Port Lisha, Alabama. Jimmy lives in a dorm room while Heridon lives with a relative.

Now just to figure out the first mystery for Heridon and co to do...

15. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Elgaisma:

Ah, yes I see what you're saying now. Perhaps, however, the commonality might have to do with location, as well? Most of the gay people I knew growing up weren't all that concerned about it. We all just sort of frowned at the nay-sayers and ignored it. Our entire 'gay club' involved almost no real interest in talking about our experiences. We considered ourselves the same as straight people, except we liked the same sex.

Perhaps its just two unique people with unique friends, however!

Link:

The mystery of SPAM (Stuff. Posing. As. Meat). Y'know the stuff. How exactly do they make it? Why do people seem to find it tasty? More importantly, how do they make those self-opening cans?

16. Link the Writer

hahaha :p

Well, I'll think of something. I've got some potential ideas. =3

I wonder if Jimmy should join Heridon's group? I think it'd be kinda cool. :D

17. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Well, good luck! Maybe shoot me a message, if you remember, I'd love to see what you're writing (if you're going to put it up, of course)!

18. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Bingo. Treat it as a real relationship. I don't think anyone was suggesting you have to "justify" it, although I can see how it might have come across that way. But if you want it to be believable, it has to come from somewhere real.

19. Elgaisma

:) Very possible mine are also older which changes experiences as well most in my group are between 25 and 96.

Also I am a woman which changes the discussions.

20. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

Mmm, I'm 22, so most of my friends are in the 17 - 30 range. Some of them are still at the age that they're in high school!

By the way, how do you do the smiles? Every time I try it just creates a link, instead of a picture.

21. Elgaisma

:):mad::D clicking on them on the right not working ?

22. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

I don't know, like :p?

=O It worked!

Oh I see, I was dragging it, not clicking!