1. honesty.lovers

honesty.lovers New Member

how to be a good teacher??

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by honesty.lovers, Jan 29, 2013.

Hallo all of members... I am new member in this forum.:)
    I have an experience about my study. Since elementary until major graduates I look many cheating at there. Many students do many ways to get best score, don't care whether those was good or not. This problems make me suffer:(. Education's goal are make human to be better and better. Bad input to good output. But in this case. there're not found!. I choose good way, but our system class don't choose that.
    I currently study at department of social study, future I will be a teacher. How to be a good teacher?, how to change bad condition like the case above?
    thanks before to all members who read and apply my posting:).

2. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Hello, honesty. Good to meet you.

Temptation to cheat is always strong because of pressure to perform well or desire to achieve without effort.

Stopping cheating in school is like stopping cheating in real world: Very difficult. Many creative ways to cheat, hard to keep up.

Two main ways: Reward honesty and punish dishonesty.

Punishment very common, very strict in Australia. University students caught cheating get zero, likely kicked out and sent home. Still we have cheaters, but people in charge are diligent and methods are thorough.
    Reward exists out in real world, but limited success: Possible to cheat rewards system. Cigarette companies listed as most trustworthy in the world? Hah! Definitely cheating.

Hard to devise effective solution. Cannot change people: Can only try to teach good values =)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good advice from tcol... mine is to follow it!

4. The Codex

The Codex Member

You need to make the children like you, take a five mins break with them. Tell a story of your life, and instantly they fall in love with you and listen to your teaching. Works with my English teacher, he told about his engagement moment and something embracing and funny happens in that moment.

5. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

Well, I've done a few instructor courses i.e. lesson planning and how to take and present lessons. Here are some points that I believe are a must

1. Knowledge of the subject. Nothing worse than teaching a subject you don't understand yourself or worse, the students know more about than you.

6. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

2. Voice projection. A strong, clear voice is a sign of confidence. Tone of voice is also importasnt as it prevents you from using a boring monotone voice and therefore keeps the class interested in you.

7. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

3. Good questioning technique. The technique we use is in three stages. You Put the question out to the whole class, Pause to allow everyone to think, since anyone of them could be chosen and then Pounce/Ask a student. If he or she does not know you ask someone to help him etc. This is better than simply selecting a student and then asking a question because everyone else in the room will think "good, he hasn't asked me so I can switch off".

8. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

4. Come across open and friendly. No student wants a teacher who they feel they can not talk to. We've all had them. We've all most likely struggled because we were too afraid to ask for help.

9. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

5. Ability to discipline. This is amongst the most important skills - how to maintain and hold the rule of the classroom. In most cases it's one or two idiots and once you've high lighted them - isolate them. Maybe give them one or two warnings but certainly no more.

10. SGTGerman

SGTGerman Member

6. Knowing when to bend the rules. If the kids think you are on there side, even if its a small contribution then you'll points automatically. For example, my schools forbid any sort of music being played. Teachers who let us play music, check our phones etc we're the ones we favoured. We enjoyed the lesson more and therefore took more interest.

There are a few acrimins and other points but for know these are a few I deem important. Hope this helped.

SGT.

11. mammamaia

sgt...
    combine all your points into one post, please... and don't do separate ones from now on... there's no good reason to do so and it's annoying to members, wastes page space...

if you're merely trying to increase your total number of posts, this is not the way to do it and you can incur infractions or even be banned from the site if you keep it up...

12. honesty.lovers

honesty.lovers New Member

thank a lot for all of comment..I hope Education better process than score..

13. iolair

iolair Active Member

Seriously, no. First, you can't "make" anyone like you. Secondly, your priority is their education, not being their friend.

mammamaia is frequently advising people here to take the advice on writing of people who are not accomplished writers or editors with a pinch of salt. I'd say the same about teaching - there's a lot more to teaching than meets the eye, even though everyone who has received an education finds it easy to act like they know it all. To get good advice, ideally you need to be getting it from people who have spent time on the 'other side' of a classroom.

FWIW I hold a Postgrad Certificate in Education and have spent 8 years in teaching and training.

People learn best when they're in a relaxed, secure environment. To create that environment
    * Appear that you know what you're doing and that you're in control (the appearance is more important than the fact to the learners - some days you'll be doing great, other days you barely manage and wing it but they shouldn't catch on to that).
    * Plan, plan, plan, plan, plan - know your subject matter, how you're going to deliver it, the logistics of the room/environment you're teaching in, know as much as you can about the learners and any issues they will have and their prior knowledge of the subject - and how you can respond to these.
    * Know (or make) and follow/enforce the rules, and make sure the learners are aware of them. Be consistent - apply the rules the same each day, to each learner.
    * Provide a good framework for the lesson - introduce it, know and share with the learners the objectives for the lesson and what you expect them to be doing and to have achieved, summarise and check progress at the end
    * Reward achievement and good behaviour, especially verbally. ("That was great", "Good work", "I'm really pleased you showed your working this time - a real improvement"). Learn and use their names.

And good luck! Teaching is one of the hardest jobs there is, but can also be one of the most rewarding.

14. mammamaia

good advice... worth taking!