how to begin?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Teodor Pravický, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

They do? :(

Ok, so lets call "mold layers" to all oasis. Dam this water, you want to sleep on the nice dry ground and next thing you see, is a soggy little bug! That is disgusting

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Did you watch "Dune," yet? That is a must before you write your book.

3. Teodor Pravický

Yeah, I just couldn't make it, but I will try again. It is too serious

4. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    ...first off, 'information' is never a plural noun. In other words, 'too many pieces of information' is correct [I assume you're going to write your story in English, so take this
    for a practical advice]

Second, it is indeed enough artistic and interesting, but from your point of view as a human [writer], it would be unbelievebly difficult to get into mind
    of an extraterrestial and describe its processes - saying nothing that it's enough difficult to credibly portray human mind alone. Your reader can get totally lost,
    unless you're a professional writer of Bradbury's or Herbert's quality.

Skimming through your comments and observing your ability in expressing yourself, Dune is a must for you. Don't watch it, read it. In English.

5. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

...are you serious ???
    Read Alchemyst too. Needless to say, read it in English.

6. Teodor Pravický

I will not write it in English, I will give it to the translator and make just some corrections, so she could yell at me.

You seem to be very sure, but I don't use very complicated descriptions, trying to make things as easy as possible. I might try to do this about situation, not about the details so much. So aliens will experience some situations rather than just describing themsleves.

The world is changing, nobody has a time or like to read this wicked collored fine lines. We are used from the movies and computer games to see things clearly and the feeling comes from the situation, not the way how it is described.

I spent like 10 years searching for books that I can enjoy, most of them are total crap, because I don't like to be part of writer's soul or something. Only some douchebag might think that his spirit is interesting by itself. Then I realised I can read movie scripts and there I go from that day.

Cool, smooth and as clean as possible out of the writer's emotional bullcrap.

This way I got lots of readers that don't really like books that much. I think that you have to see the real world before you will listen to anybody or read 50 year old books

7. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

...if you don't describe the situation, there's no feeling, thus there's no situation. Description is a necessary
    premise, only its form varies...

...it's impossible not to come across a quality prose in ten years. There are mind-blowing books out there. Also, you'll never be the author's soul or inner self [unless we're not speaking of Being John Malkovich - the movie]. You can only see the world through his [the author's] eyes; that, I think, is
    the benefit of reading other sci-fi authors, many of them. A lot of them. One sees how others have put it, how they wrote it. It's simpy good to know.
    You get the idea, the more detailed, the better. Having said all that, you still can and should, for that matter, stay original...

There are two types of writers: the one who writes emotional crap, largely based upon his or her life experience, 'cos there's nothing
    else for them to wirte about and writing is a means of therapy for them [see the book The Price of Greatness]. At the end of reading
    their book, you feel like shooting your brains out.

Then there is the other type, the author who creates, imagines, builds worlds, brings emotions, but can detach himself from the prose.
    Most sci-fi authors are the second type, although, for example Philip K. Dick experienced some real dumps in his life, but managed to write
    very good sci-fi prose based on them.

...the question is, whether this is good or bad. An author should be in contact with those who actually read books...

Both is important: to read 50 year old books, listen to others and see the world with own eyes.

8. Teodor Pravický

But these authors still focus on just what they like. Arthur C Clarke brings out constantly how amazing technical progress is, trying to jerk off about how extraordinary the space ship is...

You can put your own preferences even into completely imaginary land or the characters. Its not good to avoid them completely, but I think is important to imagine somebody else reading this, somebody that don't have anything in common with it. Would you be praising yourself or your imagination then? Or would you just try to get his attention?

Yeah, publishers also like it this way. Well, I read many authors and everytime I saw their picture or watching them talk in the usual polite, small talk way, I lost all the respect and never read them again.
    I couldn't do this to my books, they are just products, not part of my social life or something. Imagine that you as the creator, have principal social advantage over reader. I just couldn't take it, I think I'm better than that. Only if the reader would be 17 year old blonde chick, that would be something else.

9. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

...Clarke was good at this, another author is good at that. Clark wrote the way he wrote, 'cos he had an amazing breadth scientigic of knowledge.
    I think, you get what you like from many authors and add your own ingredience to create a unique flavor. I talk about inspiration, not a rip-off.

If the reader wouldn't have anything common with my prose, why would he read it ? I obviously don't write teen age vampire novels. So, my audience won't be teen age girls.

good point. It seems to be that way. Don't be a reader, be a writer then :)
    Also, I think I have a slight edge over a 17-year-old blonde chick even now, having written no novel, simply 'cos I'm older than she ;) But, of course, there are exceptions to the rule and this 17-year-old chick might be an intellectual beyond average.

10. Teodor Pravický

Well, why would anybody read the prose that only writer or scientist can understand? We are making up the stories to get closer to the people. If I want just some education, I will study, if I want to be thrilled by genius flow of words, I will read poems.

But the story is about the experience you got to know and is important as a tale like fighting with wolfs stone-age people talked about around the fire in the evening. So rookies wouldn't be so stupid chasing them without weapons. But thats all, story is a story, nothing more.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why?... and what about my questions?... answers would help me to help you...

12. Teodor Pravický

You want to help me, mom?
    I need to convert UK english book into US english book for free ;)

About the artists, if I work this way, I actually feel like doing something interesting. You do get that, do you?

13. Teodor Pravický

By the way, more pictures in the book, the better book is. My first have 17 and I'm trying to have those at 2 per page

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

so, it's a graphic novel, then?... it would help if you referred to it that way... having seen it, there aren't enough illustrations to fit that category, but if you go to 2 per page, that's what it would be...

and as i said privately, no one who's capable of doing a good enough job of revising the text would do it for free, sorry to say...

15. Teodor Pravický

Yeah, we had some private talk ;)

I will invest the money into this sand story then. The artist was in the Czech TV lately, so she deserves to be treated that way for sure.

16. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

There are some Slovak concept artist who work at an international level [of profeciency]. See deviantart.com for more.
    From what I've seen and observed in traditional artists' style - it fits poorely into the realm of sci-fi. Conceptual artist, as mentioned
    above...would have a better idea, 'cos they very often create sci-fi/hi-tech/industrial concepts.

But I take it from your comment that you want to take the most of the opportunity you have through that particular artist
    you know.

What's her name, by the way ?

17. Teodor Pravický

Anna Kurnikovova

I'm interested in all kinds of artists, just don't have a money to make big things happen right now. But if some very talented artist agree, I have to do my best and keep things up, that is for sure.

I'm now overhelmed with work, making like 4 books, but thanks for the tip.