1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

How to combine a lion and an eagle

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Jan 8, 2011.

I want to devise a bird called a Lion Eagle. I don't want a Griffin of any kind it has to still resemble a bird.

All I can think of is to make it coloured and give it like a mane but the Eagle is female. All suggestions welcome lol no matter how bizarre ?

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

You can describe the lion's relationship with the eagle and have them creating the plot for them. If you're trying to write a storyline for Lion Eagle, then I think you can combine them two tegether. Maybe have conflicts about them or something. Sorry if this doesn't help.

3. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Hmmm...that's a tough call.

Every lion/eagle hybrid I can envision looks gryphon-esque.

The best I could suggest would be:

1. Furry mane at the base of the feathered head.

2. Furry torso, with feathery wings and talons (No forelimbs).

3. Instead of tail feathers, a lion's tail that slowly switches back and forth while the piercing eagle eyes glare at you from atop a merciless beak.

4. Have a piercing eagle shriek that explodes from the creature's lungs and slowly trails off into a female lion's roar.

4. Elgaisma

no just a bird - it was a dragon falcon cross between the dragonfly and a falcon lol it was white with green and blue tail and flight feathers. However a Lion Eagle would be better and fit better with the aspects of my story involving Lewis Carroll. It is a bird just a kind of bird. Thanks Lothgar they are kind of ideas I was having.

OOH OK so it is lionesque in colour, and has a roar like a lion, liking that.

5. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

How about keeping the head shaped like a lion in that it doesn't have a beak?

An Eagle has the intense eyes and brow of a lion and so it wouldn't look odd to have a muzzle. The main could also be a huge ruffle of feathers and you then have a largely bird creature but the face, roar, and size of a lion.

6. Elgaisma

no it needs to be a bird here is the scene I need to change it, have changed the last paragraph but not the description:

I catch my breath as from behind the rock, a beautiful white falcon takes off. Merlin has the form usually granted only to the King of Covesea Island. Alex was not able to gain it. Angus my brother had called the falcon Mayhem and the name stuck through the next couple of generations. 'Don't move.' Fy growls, 'Just watch.'

I am getting annoyed with this. He seems to want to bully me. Not sure this is what I want from a relationship. Next thing a pretty little white falcon with blue and green tail and flight feathers takes off. The wind in the area increases, I snuggle closer to the red hot Fy.

'What the hell was that?' I ask.

'I told you shh. It is the lion eagle, I will explain later.' He wriggles on top of me, warmth hitting my body in all the right places. Closing my eyes and breathing I focus my mind recalling one of the stories from my book. It was about a little lion. Suits Alice about right.

7. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Instead of trying to mash a lion and an eagle together, maybe try combining the physical features of those two onto the frame of another flying creature?

Take the legs and tail of the lion and put it on an Eagle body, and you'd have something that vaguely resembles a Rhamphorhynchus; a small species of Pterasaur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rhamph_DB.jpg

Take the mane and forward facing eyes of the Lion and give that a more Eagle-ish beak (and less buggy eyes) with some thicker legs. Pterasaurs walk with an ape-like gait and I'd imagine that would be a reasonable thing to expect by combining a land bound quadruped and a bird. Oh and cat ears. They're adorable.

8. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

In addition to giving it a similar color scheme to a lion, you could also give it a similar behavior pattern.

9. Elgaisma

Ellipse thank you I think you are right - I do the reverse with my bird people they are human with bird charactersitics that would make a lot of sense.

10. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Don't call it a Lion Eagle. It's called a flyon.

11. Elgaisma

Flyon sounds like a Pokemon character - think Lion Eagle works better in my book ;) says more in two words.

This is what I have. 'A small sandy coloured eagle flies off after Mayhem. When it opens its mouth to screech a roar shakes the foundations of the valley.'

12. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

If there was a vote - I like Flyon.

13. Elgaisma

I quite like it but have the pokemon imagery in my head and the person about to tell the legend is called Fyren (Fy). Think it could be confusing - 'It is called a Flyon.' says Fy. 'The legend of the Flyon has been told in Scotia for eons, my Grandfather Ember taught me it.' says Fyren.

He's been Fyren for three novels now lol, no way could I change his name. Eagon might work but looks like Eragon. Leagle ?? could work maybe it could be the dispenser of justice.

14. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Similarly to what someone has said above, you could have the body made of that almost leathery lion fur, and then the wings from feathers obviously (because how would the bird fly otherwise?). But, the feathers could be the same sandy-brown colour of the body. If male, the mane could be grown with feathers as well.

15. Elgaisma

Its female Alice with the peagreen hair has been granted the form. Taking her to a new level.

16. Sham

Sham New Member

If it were up to me it would look like
    The head of a lioness
    The eyes of an eagle.
    Instead of claws, Eagle Talons.
    Big, feathered wings growing from her back
    And her tail is feathered.
    Hope this helps!

17. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    why not two clawed feet, i.e. paws with bending elbows and knuckles instead of talons?

18. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Flyon! Flyon flyon flyon.