How to focus on writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BC Barry, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I second everything deadrats said. This is a good place with some good people. I too hope you stick around and things turn out better for you soon.

Just to add, using the creative part of your brain, wether that be writing, performing or whatever, can give your brain a rest from all of the every day issues and responsibilities that you mention. That is what I have found anyway.

Good luck.

deadrats likes this.
  2. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

Thank you for the encouragement.

I just think it's kind of a 'wound and the bow' type thing. Do I write out of passion? Or is it kind of an avoidance thing? or borne out of not really being able to connect. It's a mixture obviously, but sometimes one of those things overwhelms the other and the writing really suffers.

A lot of my stories and writing suffers from a limited and negative worldview. Then again, I don't know if I'd write if I had a better quality of life. I know this black and white thinking is part of the problem as well.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Looking forward to getting into the forums here.

3. Siena

Siena Senior Member

A scene a day, a paragraph a day, a page a day....some sort of discipline and routine like that...it all adds up very quickly and your competency grows quickly alongside. Outline and pace it around journey and change if you're not sure how to roll out: http://kalbashir.com/Oscars-2019-Winner-And-Nominees.html