1. creativevomit

creativevomit Member

How-to guides

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by creativevomit, Mar 16, 2013.

I've never been that great at writing, mainly due to the fact that I've never taken any classes or read any books on the manner. I've just kind of self-taught myself with basic grammar, but not really that great at it. I know there are tons of how-to books on writing and probably various guides and such available. My question is what are some of the best general how-to guides out there in your guys' opinion? I don't just wanna go out dropping my cash on random books that may or may not be helpful, so it would be nice to get some feedback on some recommended helpful reads.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

We already have a thread for this here.

Enjoy, and good luck!

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

There's another thread here: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=55062

I think the title is Awesome Books on fiction writing if the link does't work or you need to search for it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you don't need how-to books to learn how to write, unless you want to be a screenwriter or a lyricist... what you do need to read [constantly] are the works of the best writers, to see how it's done, instead of being told how to do it...

5. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Agreed with Mammamaia, mostly.
    It just means that you have to change the way you read books. Once you set your mind on wanting to learn how to write better, you'll notice that you will absorb the story's content but also how authors 'make' their book.
    However, I think that reading a book or two on writing can help you notice and register what you're reading better; help you identify writing techniques. In the end, no one thing you read (whether a book on reading or just reading for pleasure) is a rule, but it certainly doesn't hurt to keep the information stored in your brain for later.
    Foxe

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I liked 179 Ways to save a Novel by Peter Selgin - very practical advice.
    And
    How Not to Write a Novel - that was really funny.
    Others will tell you to keep reading - I agree.
    Writing guides aren't infallible. But you can hull things from them - some good advice I learned - use
    active verbs - they're the most important part of your sentence - but I also believe reading Poetry will
    help you cultivate active interesting verbs. - and - Write every day - keep to a schedule.
    Worst advice I ever took from a writing guide - those dang
    character fill out forms.