How to Improve Society

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Asking fine questions there and presenting some perplexing situations. Man if I had the answers, I wouldn't be on this forum right now pretending I had them. I suppose this irrational fear of conformity comes from popular culture and the like, and of course the red scare of the cold war, but I think it is about time for a re-evaluation of the ideas of marxism. The many situations you present while seeming to bare conflict are only so when viewing it through a present and grossly misrepresented form of individualism. I would wager in a framework with singular and fundamental tenets of education, and honest concern for the welfare of others, some burgeoning of better society could take root. One has to imagine beyond what we know, which through many pensive hours, I know is difficult relying on old and present forms of perceiving good and bad, immoral and moral, judgment and punishment.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The problem is that while you may value conformity, many place a great emphasis on individuality. As soon as you have to force people to conform, your utopia is over. I also think individualism tends to be more valued by human beings, which is why novels depicting utopian societies where individualism is quashed usually depict such things in a negative manner.

3. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I didn't say any such thing. I never used the term force or any coercive idea. I suspect you are reacting to something you imagine I am saying because you are unwilling to perceive anything better than a slightly loosened manacle about your hands. There are great things out there more than we have constructed.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Resorting to personal attacks does not help your argument. I suspect someone else in the thread will be able to provide a more reasonable reply, so I'll just wait for that.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.