1. crystaleye

crystaleye New Member

How to show impact of other movies/books/internet forums in plot? Eg Truman Show?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by crystaleye, Dec 28, 2013.

Hello All,

I am trying to write a science/fantasy/urban fiction book where the main character of the novel is being monitored secretly by different groups of ETs eg Truman Show and a few good guy groups of ETs are trying to put across messages to the protagonist of the novel by creating special scenes in the TV shows, internet forums and books which the protagonist regularly watches.

For eg, I like to show that the protagonist (eg Jim Carrey in Truman Show) came across the movie "The Matrix" somewhere along the middle of the book and that movie actually contained hints of the prison which the protagonist is in.

Or the protagonist (eg Jim Carrey in Truman Show) is surfing some alternative conspiracy UFO forums and there are some threads in this alternative conspiracy UFO forums which actually contain personal messages to the protagonist even though the discussion threads take place between participants unknown to the protagonist.

Or the protagonist (eg Jim Carrey in Truman Show) read a metaphysical book and that book actually reveals or hints at the true nature of the prison reality which the protagonist is in.

I am still a noob to bookwriting. I can write dialogues between people but the above scenarios do leave me scratching ma head.

2. stormr

stormr Member

Hold on, are you trying to tell me someone's watching me?
    Just kidding. It does seem like an interesting idea, be sure not to make it seem too much like The Truman Show though. I'm not really sure what you asking here though, if you're just looking for some ideas I got a couple.

Have these people who try to hint that he's being watched have names that he eventually realizes that the charcter in that movie is the same one he saw posted on his regular forum visits. That charcter he just saw in a commercial is also the same guy he just read about in a magazine. Something like that, only not just spread out over the day, wouldn't be much more different that some new story about justin beaber in our real world (can't go anywhere without seeing his face).
    An example:

Your chacter is online visiting his favorite writing forum, also has the tv on. He's on his laptop sitting in his recliner. There's another one of those ads on popping up on his page, that forces him to move his mouse and find that little speck in the upper corner of the ad to close it. He notices that the ad reads Their Watching you he then clicks the ad closed. The page automatically scrolls down and one of the topics is posted in all bold. It reads Ever feel like your being watched? He then notices that his channel on his tv changed and 'The Matrix' is playing, its a scene were Morpheus is telling Neo that The Maxtix has him.

Or:

Think shaun of the dead. The flipping through the channels scene. Have your character start changing the channels, only every thing thats on as he goes from channel to channel forms a story about him being trapped and the outside world is watching his everymove. Just a few sentences probably. Could be a fun scene to write, especially thinkng of some movies, shows, and commercials to grab lines from to form a full explaination for your character to hear from the tv.

Also use the outside world around him, flyers on telephones poles, billboards. Random texts on his phone. Some main name he sees often, one who eventually let's your character know the truth (like Morpheus and Neo). Remember to also have subtle influences in his everyday life.

sounds like an interesting idea here, keep me informed if you write and post any of it to read.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. crystaleye

crystaleye New Member

Hi,

one example of what i am thinking is say.. the main character got into an argument with his gf who is acting as an agent for the aliens who have taken over the world.. the gf is consistently trying to manipulate the main character into doing things which further the cause of the aliens at the expense of the main character.. almost the whole world has been overtaken by the aliens via highly advanced technological etheric astral half biological half technological symbiotes through the heart and the whole world can actually see what the main character is doing every single minute of his life through some inner heart television or something..

so one day the main character got into a really huge fight with his gf about some power issues.. then the next day when he was watching his daily talk show program (david letterman?) and/or when he was surfing the internet forums.. david letterman was making a joke/sketch/parody about how women are running roughshod over men.. and/or the internet forums are starting huge topic threads about how women are running roughshod over men.. and/or suddenly there are lots of youtube vids popping up on the main character's youtube home page about how women are running roughshod over men..

or the main character had been fasting without food for a few weeks and he was feeling really ravenous.. and the first meal he ate was a chinese meal at home.. the next day as he was driving along the road to the nearest supermarket to get more groceries as the food supply in his house has run out.. his attention was somehow diverted to a sign called "chinese takeaways?..

i think you get the idea..

4. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

What makes your main character so important that the good ETs want him to know that he's being monitored 24-7. The NSA may be monitoring everyone in the world, but I'm not that interesting of a dude, so even if they are collecting my data, no one is looking at it.

Also, What's going to happen when he learns he's being watched? Is that the climax (like in the Truman show) and he's going to go crazy or is that just the start (like in the Matrix)?

Perhaps tell the story from a second-person's point of view. i.e. A first-person's view of someone that has been following your main character the entire time.

5. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Try writing a scene with each of your ideas and see which one works the best. Write like you are getting into a cold pool. Just jump in. Do it. Go.

Good luck.

6. crystaleye

crystaleye New Member

Hello, see i am writing my story based on the setting Childhood's end by arthur c clarke where the whole of humanity is destined to evolve from physical flesh-and-blood bodies into higher dimensional etheric energetic lifeforms. However, there are thousands of bad ET races who are surviving by sucking in energetic food from humanity which is why they are doing their best to prevent humanity from transforming into higher dimensional etheric energetic life-forms. Think Dr Manhattan from the Watchmen and imagine each and every single human being becoming Dr Manhattan..

So there is a process which is suppose to occur around 2012 dec 21 which is suppose to destroy humanity and earth in one shot and transform the entire human race into a race of superhuman DR Manhattans and also destroying the Thousands of Bad ET races at the same time.. however in an effort to prevent such widespread destruction, some of the good ETs misguidedly work work with the bad ETs to divert humanity's evolution and ascension in a much slower yet safer direction where the destruction is much smaller yet controlled..

however these misguided ETs fell into the Bad ET's traps because the Bad ET sabotaged and manipulated the heart etheric symbiotes in such a way that humanity is forever trapped by a drug in these heart symbiotes which resulted in humanity being forever addicted to this drug..

The Main Character is the source of this drug and he is also at the same time which can resume the fast transformation/evolution process which will result in humanity transforming and ascending into superpower beings all at once.. however, the Bad ETs and some of the formerly good ETs are doing their best to prevent the main character from cultivating his spiritual power which will jump start the transformation process of humanity again.. sorry this plot is extremely convoluted and i am just writing out the basic premise..

So the remaining Good ETs try to give hints to the main character about the direction which he should take through youtube, internet forums, tv talkshows, dramas, movies, etc.. you get the idea..