1. everythinghandmade

everythinghandmade New Member

how to start a how to book

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by everythinghandmade, Jun 9, 2008.

I want to start a how to book and need some help on what is the best way to go about it. it is a how to book for lots of items (over 50 different how to items) so it will take a TON of time to make all the items and to take pictures of each of the steps to put into the book. What is the best way to go about this? i just don't want to make everything and take all the pictures (it will probably take a year or more) and then have a publisher love the idea and wants me to make everything over again because my pictures aren't what they want. can anyone help me?

2. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

me personally, i would go look at some how to books and see if there all formated about the same and go from there.
    jim

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

he's right... the best thing to do is scour the largest book store around for all books that are similar to what you want to turn out and see how they've been done...

you should know that books of this kind are not usually submitted completed... the writer usually queries with a standard book proposal that contains only a sample of what you will have in the book, consisting of photos and text... then, if the publisher likes the idea, they will offer a contract for its completion, providing editorial input on how it should be done, if your sample isn't exactly what they want...

i have info on how to put a proposal together that i'll be glad to forward, if you drop me an email...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com