How to tell if my writing sucks

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Dr.Meow, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Fair enough. But even after he's done all the stuff recommended on this thread, he still won't really know whether his writing is any good or not... you need a wider audience than a few well-meaning beta readers to figure that out.

(How many posts have we all seen from writers who say their betas loved their stories, and then we read the section posted for critique and there are serious, serious issues with it?)

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Well, there's definitely an art/skill in choosing beta readers, and evaluating their feedback. But I put huge, huge store in good beta readers, and I don't consider the "OMG you can put words on a page, you rock!" people to be beta readers. They're cheerleaders.

...or just idiots.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I know where to go when I feel like my writing is bad, and want to miss prose for a while.
    And story structure, plot, SPAG, oh hell everything. The catch being you are not allowed
    to point any of this out, as it outlined in the rules. It is a bit of pain in ass. Though the trade
    off for holding back, is knowing that you write a zillion times better than those folks. :p