Tags:
  1. Kayla

Kayla New Member

How to write this conflict?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kayla, Jan 29, 2021.

I’m aware that this is cliche but I’m just writing this for fun. This is teen fiction btw. Character A, and B want nothing to do with each other. Character B is really scared of A because of rumors etc. Character A is in a gang, but wants to leave. Any ideas on how I can I get character B deeply involved in this?

2. FlyingFishPhilosophy

FlyingFishPhilosophy Member

Hmm..
    Perhaps character B (or one of his/her friends) gets kidnapped by the gang?

Or B finds out one of his/her relatives is part of this gang and while he/she attempts to disentangle this person she discovers character A is in the gang and asks for help, even though B can't stomach A?

3. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I figured a way for the characters to get involved. But I don’t know what they’re going to do to get him out.

4. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Currently Reading::
    The Shining / Carrie by Stephen King
    Could you supply more info?

If the characters are forced to interact how do you envision it going?
    If it's teen fiction I assume they're teens, but how old?
    Do either go to school and is it possible they go to school together?
    Could you provide more info about their personality?
    Do you have an end goal or particular reason why these two need to co-exist?
    Do you expect they'll be working together to reach a common goal?
    Do you want B involved in the gang circumstances, involved with A or both?

5. Kayla

Kayla New Member

Some information about my characters:
    They’re in senior year, and go to school together. None of them are interested in each other at the beginning. I want B to get involved with both.

Character A is quiet, reserved and bored most of the time. He has a bad reputation, but he’s a good person.
    Character B is outgoing, kind, and minds her own business. She hates drama and gossip.

This is a short summary of the idea: (nothing is set in stone)

Character A wants to leave the gang, but gets threatened to stay. He accepts that. She accidentally eavesdrops on the conversation and gets caught. However, she gets away. Certain circumstances leads the gang to see character B with A. Because of the prior event, they assume they’re together, and that she knows everything about the gang. They kidnap her, and threatens her to not tell anyone. Also, they think A cares about her, so they tell him that if he displeases them again, they’ll kill her too. (She hears that)
    Character A has to prove his loyalty to them therefore he gets a mission to kill an officer that’s out to get the organization.

I want him to get out of the gang, and she involved in the process. I can’t figure out how to make it so he gets out of the gang alive while creating obstacles in the way that gets the two characters pulled together. I don’t want to make it too easy.

6. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

I mean realistically, if they're in senior year they'd be roughly 17-19. Do they have parent involvement? A lot of kids end up in gangs when they're from a low income or unstable family, or lack a proper family dynamic altogether.

Escaping a violent gang is extremely challenging as a young person because that's when you're the most valuable as a recruit. Programs exist to aid people trying to leave a gang lifestyle, authorities may relocate high-risk individuals under new personas. (Unsure if that's a route you'd like to go.) It'd be improbable anyone would stay in the same city or even state following an event like this, even if the gang is "wiped out" on a surface level. Does character A have enough of his own money set aside that he could move or assume a new identity?

Consider having B come from a family who could in fact help A escape the lifestyle; maybe one of her parents is a cop who's had run-ins with this gang before or is dedicated to rehabilitating troubled youth.

Imagine... character A reaches out to an officer who is renowned for going out of their way to help younger people escape the gang lifestyle. He is willing to assist in bringing down the organization while simultaneously pretending like he's going to go through with the murder and prove himself so they can collect evidence against the gang's higher-ups. Perhaps at some point they discover he is a "rat" and things get complicated and dangerous. B is roped into this because she's the officer's daughter, maybe A and B start hanging out at school or are seen together one too many times. It could be what outs him as a snitch. Or B might do something stupid to blow his cover and she decides to help him as she feels responsible.

Kayla likes this.
  7. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Frankly, you could do about anything you want. Literally anything is open.

- One of them crashes a wedding the other is going to.
    - They meet up at a gas station
    - The gang-escaper buys a kid a hot dog when he drops his in the dirt and B thinks that's sweet.
    - They both swerve into the same ditch when driving.
    - A cop mistakes one for the other.
    - One has to borrow a pencil from the other.
    - One imitates one of those floppy inflatable wavy arms things and the other thinks it's funny.

In this situation, the sky's the limit. You can do anything, no matter how nonsensical, and as long as the details fit in your story, it's all good.

Iain Aschendale and Kayla like this.
  8. Kayla

Kayla New Member

Character A doesn’t have a family, and no money. (He’s 18) That’s why he started in the gang. Character B doesn’t have a dad.

I’d an idea that character A tries to commit the murder, but not being able to do it. He only hurts the cop. Then he goes to her house, and panics...
    Fast forward, both of them gets arrested for carrying drugs or something. And character A is put into a position where he has to make a deal with a cop. I don’t feel like A could ever ask somebody for help.

I’ll think about the suggestion you gave me. Thanks. But how can they collect evidence against the gang? And what could the gang do when they discover he’s a snitch?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  9. Kayla

Kayla New Member

What kind of evidence?

10. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Evidence would be simple, if he goes to authorities and offers to help them run a sting one idea would be to send him to a gang meeting while wired which is increasingly easy these days as microphones can be hidden near in glasses, watches, etc. Typically, an unmarked police vehicle is nearby so they can listen in but also have emergency response on standby in high risk circumstances. If details of the hit are discussed during this, the fact they're planning a murder would be more than enough to detain them and launch a full scale investigation.

In most cases, if someone is discovered to be a snitch they'll be killed or at least beaten brutally. In a lot of the stories I've heard- gang leaders rarely do killings, they leave it up to mid-rank members whom they trust enough but also disposable if caught. And as opposed to killing someone in an area the gang members frequent or live, they'll lure them out somewhere isolated under the guise of hanging out or doing a side job and dump the body.

Lifeline likes this.
  11. Kayla

Kayla New Member

Thanks. After the cops gets the evidence. Should they just arrest them? Isn’t that too easy. Also, you suggested that B could help him when they figure out he’s a snitch. Can you elaborate on that? (Btw the novel is written from her point of view)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  12. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Ah now that you're telling me it's from her PoV, that could change several things. You have to consider, she's not going to know much about A's criminal involvement unless he tells her, he has some form of record or she is able to snoop through documents. I guess I'm struggling to convey why they would dislike each other, personally I'd just opt out of hanging out with someone I didn't like but you're looking for something to force them together. How about something unrequited? B likes A but A is caught up in his own problems, does not want her around or in trouble, she finds ways to keep crossing paths, hoping to be seen or trying to get to know him until eventually she becomes entangled in his criminal evolvements. Or she becomes a target and he tries to save her, while also working on his own goals.

It's human nature for two people to collaborate only when there is a common goal or... their individual goals bring them down the same path. Even in romance, a couple generally needs a common goal to survive.

Also, I doubt it's too "easy" but perhaps anti-climactic? You could throw in a hostage crisis, or let one of the key suspects flee.

13. Kayla

Kayla New Member

B dislikes and is afraid of him because he’s a criminal, and gives scary, psycho-killer vibes. (He’s doesn’t talk and is always alone.) A doesn’t like her because she’s the ex of someone he hates, and she keeps getting into his business. But his feelings are more of an indifference. He doesn’t care about her.

Yeah, I’m looking for something to force the together. B tries her best to stay away, but gets pulled into the criminal world where running off isn't an option. Throughout the journey she gets to know him and realizes there’s more to him than his image.

I’ve a hard time figuring out the main conflict that gets these two pulled together. And what the events, obstacles should be. I want the conflict to last for many chapters so it doesn’t feel rushed, and they get the time to know each other. I want her involved in his criminal life. It doesn’t necessarily have to be helping him to leave. Idk at this point.

Thank you so much for the help. I feel less stuck now:)

14. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Awesome! Happy to help. Once you've done some work try to post a snippet of your story for review. I'd be interested to see.

15. Kayla

Kayla New Member

Do you have suggestions on how/what

16. Thom

Thom Active Member

The evidence in the story could be about the gang leader. At one time, he too was new to the gang and thus had to do the dirty work, from thieving all the way to murder, but he has since covered up/hid the evidence. Then do to some event, B comes into possession of the evidence, or at least knows where it is. Maybe the person A is supposed to kill would then be B. If A doesn't go through with it, then the gang leader could then say he was too weak/untrustworthy and set the gang after him, or if A did go through with killing B, the gang leader could then make sure A was caught by the cops.
    Could also have it that A 'tries' to kill B as he has been ordered to, but they fake the attempt. A get's 'caught' by the cop who is now in on it, setting the gang leader to go after B on his own, in which case they catch him in a trap. That could also serve to destroy the gang as the leader turns on the others for a plea deal.

17. SlayerC79

SlayerC79 Banned

You're writing this for "fun"?!?

Bloody hell... it sounds like you're putting more thought into this than some authors do in their books. lol

18. The Multiverse

The Multiverse Member

the best mechanic i can offer that's not often used in these cliche situations is to have character A plan a betrayal of the gang and get them all arrested. Can't be stuck in a gang if there is no gang.

19. Thom

Thom Active Member

Gran Torino.

20. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I don't think this is a conflict unless I misunderstood. It's a situation as far as I can see that needs more conflict. But without knowing a little more it's hard to offer much help other than just get your thinking cap on and start brain storming. You could use a multitude of reasons it just needs some thought.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Kehlida likes this.