1. Car'Mel

Car'Mel New Member

How would I write these?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Car'Mel, Jun 5, 2007.

First of let me start by saying sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread

I want to write 2 more stories but I don't exactly know how I would write them, I'm going to put numbers by them to let you know my 2 ideas.

1. A story told by a boy and girl each add will be told by either the boy or the girl, it'll be about them telling about when they went out and how they had two different lives and they'll talk about eachother and how they are after the break-up and stuff like that.

How would I write that?

2. About this girl and her 3 different personalities and all three are telling the story.

I have an idea of how to do that story but I'm not for sure.

Can someone please help me on this? Thanks

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    This is the right area, or close enough.
    For the first one, simply give them separate chapters. Boy gets one chapter, then the girl gets a chapter, repeat until finished.

The second one is harder. Let me give it some thought and I'll get back to you on it.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What about writing 1) from the perspective of a third party who is observing, or a friend to, both the boy and the girl; perhaps someone trying to get to the bottom of something that happened in connection with the breakup, that we only learn the full details of as the story builds toward its conclusion?

4. Car'Mel

Car'Mel New Member

Thank you that's what I thought I should do but before I write should I tell the readers that's what I'm doing

5. Car'Mel

Car'Mel New Member

I just might do that tell both their parts then have a friend tell it from outside looking in

6. Cogito

I'd say no. Let the reader figure it out as he or she reads on.

7. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

For both stories you can do it in diary form. I just did a story like that(check out -short stories-fantasy -"the book of shadows. It actually wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.
    story number 1 you can have both of them keeping a diary or journal. i know its less often a guy uses a journal but im sure you can swing it.

story number tow you can be like hello diary its me janell...or its me courtenay -the evil one etc. It owuld be harder to catch on so you would have to have a bit of a prologue in the beginning (again see my story) but I think for either story you could fiddle around.
    Hope I was of some help.

8. Cogito

I like this idea! One feature of a diary that could be a challenge, but also may make it more interesting, is to think of the writing as dialog, without quotation marks or cues as to the "speaker's" tone. In dialog, you could say he muttered or he whispered, but in a diary all the tone must be inferred from the phrasing and the subject content.

Therefore, you would need to establish a speech pattern for each personality, distinctive enough that the reader can pick them out, but not so rigid as to seem forced. You probably would not have each personality state explicitly who they are for each entry, but there would be clues enough for the reader to figure it out.

I believe it would be an extremely challenging approach, but what a powerful device if you can pull it off!

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Ok I've had a chance to think them over.
    For the first story I agree, it would probably be best to show the story from three peoples perspectives. But don't tell people whats going on at the beginning, let them figure it out.
    For the second story, journal entries would be the best way to go. You might also have a friend who is watching everything from the outside, seeing how the girl is getting confused, and deranged. Her perspective could be written normally. Just to contrast the insanity.
    Good luck with everything.