1. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

How would you describe the modern world in prose?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Accelerator231, May 25, 2021.

what are some good word choices phrase's and such to depict the oower and pervasiveness of an organisation that built and controls the entire modern world?

I've already gotten some good stuff from panopticon Quest:

"You think this can stop us?" croaks another corpse, split diagonally. Ruined eyes gouged out by the rage of Piero still track her as she advances. "We cannot die."

"We are natural law. We are the falling apple and the rainbow cast from the prism."

"We are the invisible hand and we are the market."

"We are the dreams of the stars."

"We are mankind. Mankind is us."

"You dare not strike us down. All will be chaos if we are not there to be the guiding hand."

"We are order. We are time. We are."

I've made a few of my own:

We are the pope. We are the Mandate of Heaven. We are the System.

We are the words on the books you read. We are the ground beneath your feet. We are the radio waves within the air, omnipresent.

We are the rush of footsteps in the crowd. We are the clank and wheeze of machinery. We buzz of electronics and the flipping of pages.

We are the power of Mankind, embodied.

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Pointlessly busy with trivial ambitions, blinded by self-importance as we hurtle towards inevitable oblivion.

Proud masters of a momentary spec of dust in the infinite universe, lords of insignificance.

Flies on the back of an alligator.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Teladan likes this.
  3. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

They would say nothing, because they don't need to convince anyone of the very obvious.

Just to ask, is this from the organization, or from the perspective of people against the organization? Or perhaps what people tell themselves to just keep on going.

It's for our good. Why rock the boat?

Can't we all just get along?

Resistance isn't worth the effort -- all the years of work we put in will be lost.

4. Selbbin

Hang on, my understanding was that the prose was to represent modern humanity, as an organisation that controls the world. Or do you mean some society or network beyond that, like the Illuminati?

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

We are the cyanide on your ice cream.

We are the ants at your picnic.

We are the sugar in your gas tank, the water in your beer, and the Lidocaine in your Lulu Lube.

6. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

Illuminati-like.

Basically this is something, someone, a group that has created, built, and allowed the existence of the modern world. Every single enlightenment philosopher and freethinker that dominates to this day? That was them. Gutenberg was one of them, an inventor of the printing press. Louis Pasteur was another. The scientific method, laws of thermodynamics, relativity, democracy, communism, capitalism, newton, that was all them. This of course, requires a lot of power, effort, and dead bodies. Primarily those who stand in their way, but mostly magicians.

They started out somewhat good, but then turned pretty bad later, and if their past selves could see them, they would be horrified. The main character is someone from the past, transported to the modern world via magical mishap. And he's pretty horrified and impressed by what's happened. And his old friends who got to the future the old fashioned way? Well, they've changed. But they want their friend to validate them. Validate their actions. So they hunt him down, following him, and try to convince him to look at the world they've made, and agree with them that yes, it was right and good they did all the things they did. And they're really addicted to gigantic purple prose and bombastic speeches.

7. Selbbin

Ah. I waaaaay missed the point then.

Teladan likes this.
  8. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

We are the blood that enriches the flesh. We are the veins that carry the blood. We are the flesh. We are the tissue that binds the (gruesome mess) essence of life.

We are the air she breathes when the soprano makes the angels cry.

I could probably go on. This is an entertaining exercise. How gigantic you want this to go?

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night
    The night
    Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Yeah, yeah, yeah
    Yeah, yeah, yeah

~ I Am the Highway, Audioslave

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  10. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

It's the beginning of a good concept, however, it needs a story to go with it.

11. LucyAshworth

LucyAshworth Active Member

I think the focus on "we" sounds like someone who is insecure, repeatedly insisting upon their importance. I think it sounds better to describe the state of the world, the operation of the odious machine.

The machine will continue to run. The world will live on. No matter what you do. After you die.
    You could add "because of us." Or you could make it, "me" or "I."

Why don't you put the world "the" in front of CIA? Would you put the word "the" in front of God?

12. Luis Thompson

Luis Thompson Banned

It seems to me that the best way to describe the modern world in prose would be to use the philosophy of the postmodernist Baudrillard and his theses about simulacra, which are very common both in the global world as a whole and in the local world of each of us in the most mediocre life situations.