Tags:
  1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

How Would You Write The Popping Of Bubble Wrap & What Could Be The Motivation To Steal Bubble Wrap?

Discussion in 'Research' started by frigocc, Feb 25, 2019.

Basically, thinking of making my story have a ridiculous bubble wrap thief, but not sure what the motivation could be, or how to write the bubble wrap popping. Any ideas?

Tralala and Sheerah like this.
  2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Ahaha, that sounds like it could be a great comedy! You may want to go with onomatopoeia with the bubble wrap popping and just write out "pop!" As for the thief's motivation: maybe he didn't get any as a child and was always jealous of others who got to pop bubble wrap, so now he obsesses over getting his hands on as much as he can and keeping anyone else from getting any.

Tralala likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds like a lantern-jawed teen chomping on bubble gum. And the motivation for stealing it? She's drivin' me friggin' NUTS with that incessant pop-pop-popping!

Tralala likes this.
  4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

It's a kink. He loves wrapping himself up in it and rolling down a hill - crac-popapoppoppapoppapoppa

5. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    This could be a mental illness that manifests as a hoarding compulsion. It doesn't have to make sense, because it is a compulsion. I've heard of people who collect their own feces (poop) in jars for example. Weird but I can see it being mostly harmless. Collecting other people's feces would be umm.....taking this illness/compulsion to a whole new level.

Tralala likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Works better if it's a stony hillside.

Tralala, Shenanigator and peachalulu like this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That sounds like fun. Maybe start to think of all the things bubble wrap can be used for BESIDES just the popping thing. I mean ...it's insulation, right. Okay. It can be a mattress. Stuff a duvet with bubble wrap and you can sleep on it. Or it can be a blanket. Or even a coat. It can cover the interior walls of your house as insulation. Ditto your windows. (It lets in light. Hooray!) You can put it underneath your carpet. Or maybe put it just inside the doors, so any thieves will make popping noises when they come in ...and etc.

Tralala and Shenanigator like this.
  8. Sheerah

Sheerah Member

The explosion of expelled air through compression gave off an almost military firing sound. With each pop of those blister filled sacks, the opportunity to squeeze and expose that glorious pop was a fetish out of control... It had to be done. The feel of each and every blister commanded a discharge and he alone was being called upon to free those beautiful airfilled sacks... The voices couldn't be ignored any longer. His sanity was in free fall....

Tralala and frigocc like this.
  9. The Mink

The Mink Member

i) Bubblewrap created before Chernobyl has air with lower radiation count (like iron pre-1945) - so for storing very very sensitive films over long periods (This bubblewrap costs a lot more as the quantities are limited
    ii) using Bubblewrap air to smuggle drugs (Nitrous?)
    iii) After a meteor strike, the air has a slightly different ratio of nitrogen - so there is a bounty on bubblewrap so that they can example the air of the earth over a long timeframe - and the thief steals from the collector to sell it back
    iv) Bubble warp manufacturers use pure oxygen to fill the bubbles - bubble wrap thief has heard that oxygen fixes hangovers. So steals bubblewrap for their hungover alcoholic parent.

Tralala likes this.
  10. The Mink

The Mink Member

Smuggling a microfiche in a single bubblewrap. Sent to a big organisation. Thief is then stealing the big pile of it from their mailroom and then popping it all looking for the microfiche.

Tralala likes this.
  11. The Mink

The Mink Member

He has a time machine - and each bubble acts as a locus to let you step back to the time it was sealed (the moment the observer was isolated from the main timeline) - his time machine only works for about a minute per bubble - so he can feed it into the machine and "groundhog day" the minute when that entire sheet was created - keep re-running the one minute till he gets a great answer (or runs out of bubble wrap) .
    He is desperately searching for bubblewrap that was created at exactly the moment his wife broke up with him, so he can find out why it really happened

12. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

This is a terrible story and I would read every word of it. I'm going to have dreams about this plot now.

Tralala likes this.
  13. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I keep envisioning a satire in which an art thief is hoarding bubble wrap in preparation for a big heist of sculptures. But he's addicted to the sound of the popping, and of course bubble wrap isn't as useful once it's popped, so he's in a vicious circle. Meanwhile, the other members of the heist team are getting pret-ty impatient...

14. OrdinaryJoe

OrdinaryJoe Active Member

The great bubble depression of 32'. Grandma always told me to hold onto my bubble wrap and to never trust those slick bubble banker types.

"They'll take your bubbles and the nex thin ya know they gon and pop pop popped the whole lot of um. Twas what did you Granpappy in!" she would say as she wiped the tears from her eye.

Tralala likes this.
  15. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

So funny, and ingenious :)

I have nothing.

16. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

But I do imagine them swathed in giant rolls of the stuff.

Then they're the bubble-wrap, and the bubble-wrapped, thief.

The Mink likes this.
  17. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

Ain't y'all ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy? Redneck party favors!

Tralala likes this.